Monday, November 21, 2005

Spontaneous gaming denied

My dad was here this past weekend, but he left early Sunday afternoon. While he was here, we went to the Alamo, and I was also able to engage him in one of my lighter wargames (War of 1812). This really whetted by appetite, so after doing a few chores around the house Sunday, I called some guys who had expressed interest in wargames to find some one to play Hammer of the Scots.

Unfortunately, I found no takers. Bummer!

I have been finding myself fondly recalling the days of high school when it was easy to get together with folks.

My wife's family will be here this week, so I'm out of the local scene, but I'm hoping to convince my brother-in-law to play. I think he'll bite.

8 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

thanks for leaving out the name of the culprits.

 
At 2:58 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

hehe... december should be a good month for gaming too for me, so let me know.

 
At 6:52 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Ted, it was a great gesture just calling up and inviting me to game. I am totally bummed I couldn't make it, but I'll definitely be calling you sometime soon to return the favor.

Heck, Kendahl and I work at the same place (well, within a mile or so of each other), and we haven't gotten together there yet either.

My goal in 2006 is to deconflict my life from my gaming schedule!

 
At 6:53 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

PS: Sundays nights are actually pretty good for me, because my wife is glued to the screen watching Desperate Housewives.

 
At 10:51 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

I am...I mean, my wife is too.

 
At 5:03 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

I told my wife to immediately suspect I had been replaced by a homosexual alien doppleganger if she ever caught me watching the show. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

 
At 8:15 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Ted said...

Kendahl, I didn't specifically know that Sundays were bad for you, but I had gotten the idea that you didn't enjoy any of the block games.

War of 1812 has some similarities with chess.

Hammer of the Scots has a solid historical scenario, and includes some minor elements of political intrigue as the noble switch sides.

Wizard Kings is from a different mold completely, and if you pick a dull scenario it's a stinker of a game. If you pick a cool scenario, then it can really shine. If you like pushing around lots of little army guys, then give WK a chance with a good scenario.

 
At 4:26 PM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Pushing around lots of little army guys is one of my very favorite things!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home