Saturday, November 19, 2005

1830: An old friend remembered yesterday

Yesterday, Kendahl asked me if I still had my copy of 1830. Unfortunately, I stupidly E-Bayed my copy away about ten years ago when I went through a brief phase where I thought I was done with gaming (between the death of AH and the rise of Euro's... otherwise known as the Magic Era...).

Anyway, Kendahl's question caused me to think a lot about my past love of all games 18XX, but none more so than 1830. This game really was a eurogame before its time. The game had no player elmination; nothing random; an amazingly elegant simulation of stock market manipulation, auctions, and financial double dealing; and a relatively short playing time for its day. This game had it all!

So, I fired up the now freely downloadable PC version of the game and had a great time! After playing the 18XX board games almost every week for a year, I used to be able to totally destroy the computer on its ultrahard AI setting. Now, I had a very tough time just on hard... oh well... it was still great fun. Anyway, I highly recommend that if you ever see an 18XX game at a decent price... buy it!!

4 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, November 20, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Here's the link to the site where you can download 1830 plus the full users manual:

http://tinyurl.com/cxngz

You'll need to use the manual to answer the initial, one-time copy protection question.

After you install the game, but before you run it, you'll also need to install VDMSound on your computer. Because 1830 is DOS-based software, it doesn't work too well with Windows XP. VDMSound fixes this problem.

After you install VDMSound, just right click on 1830.exe and select "Run with VDMSound." Ta-da! It works. Here's the link to VDMSound:

http://tinyurl.com/3rp3k

 
At 8:15 PM, November 21, 2005, Blogger Brian said...

I have a fair chunk of the 18xx series, if people are interested. But it has a steep learning curve...

 
At 7:51 AM, November 24, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Check out 18MEX on BGG... San Antonio makes an 18XX appearance!

 
At 7:50 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

If anyone has trouble downloading the 1830 game files and manual, just let me know. They're small enough I can just e-mail them.

In my opinion, if you like games like Powergrid, you're probably going to like 1830. 1830 is just a bit more complex, with the ability to buy/sell shares in each others companies; operate small, private companies; and lay / block different routes between cities. The similarities are many, since you're trying to connect cities together and purchase the most efficient locomotives to power your network.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home