Sunday, November 01, 2009

Don't try this at home

Mark and I met on Saturday for a game of WotR. As always we had a good session and you cannot really go wrong with this choice. Neither of us had played in a while and so the first few turns we were consulting the rules for some of the finer things.

I played a little differently this time and a valuable lesson was learned. In an attempt to enter Mordor with little or no corruption I pretty much neglected the defense of the home lands letting them fall to the Dark Forces with little resistance with one exception. Minas Tirith while under siege did mount a counter attack that drove off the orcs and and allowed the Fellowship a peaceful resting place before entering Mordor.

But before they could get started, Marks amphibious attacks all but seal the free peoples fate and earned him the needed points for a military victory. In all the games I have played as the free peoples I have never actually destroyed th ring, but I have had some very close calls. But yesterdays strategy is certainly NOT the way to do it.

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, November 01, 2009, Blogger Mark said...

I try to avoid reading strategy articles for just this reason. We had a blast trying out different strategies. Carlos did an able job separating the companions and sending them to rally the free peoples. He managed to follow what happened in the books quite closely in that respect. Boromir even died defending the fellowship.

While the fellowship was busy siteseeing around middle earth, I built up my shadow forces into efficient 10 unit armies. I commenced my attacks only after running out of pieces to build. Rohan, the Dwarves, and elves all fell to my shadow armies. Total victory came when the Corsairs delivered my southrons into Dol Amroth for the final blow.

Things would have been different if only the fellowship had included you Carlos.

 
At 6:34 PM, November 02, 2009, Blogger jbarreto said...

Good to hear you got a chance to play. I think the game does a great job capturing the desperate delaying action fought by the Free People as the fellowship inched towards Mordor. It is definitely a fine balancing act for both sides.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home