Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday Gaming


Scott & Tiffany showed up for the afternoon of gaming. Scott arrived earlier, so we played the "Meeting of Patrols" scenario from Up Front. Scott's Russians got off an early sniper shot against my 2nd in command as the squads moved forward. For the life of me, I couldn't get my squads to move into a good defensive setup until after I had also lost my machine-gunner. One of Scott's squads got lost following a stream, but I had to spend some time to rebalance my setup. Eventually Scott's Right Flank squad was right on top of the Germans, but paniced and pinned. People were running around, fighting in hand to hand, and generally dying. But the center flank of the Russians were setup nearby in some buildings and eventually managed to break the Germans. Both sides lost about 6 people, but the larger Russian squads can handle that better...

We then setup Le Havre and played a 3 player game. Scott managed to do very well despite not having a ship for most of the game. The overall point spread was respectable, 200-180-175 (or so). Scott had the lion's share of the buildings, but I managed to ship goods twice (for about 75 points). Still liking that.

Then we played a quick game of "Maus Nach Haus." Aidan explained the rules and almost won. We finished up with Euphrat und Tigris. An odd game, all six monuments were built (and early), so I think that was the highest scoring game I've ever seen.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Good report.

I've always thought Up Front had one of the least likeable box covers ever.

 
At 8:41 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

And least likeable rules, too.

 
At 8:51 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger scott said...

But neverthless an entertaining game that I am a bit surprised does not get a bit more play. Most games end up close or at least feeling close and each game is different.

 
At 9:01 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

A guy in my other group has *two* copies of Up Front. I'm always threatening to take one. I've never played but always wanted to try it.

 
At 9:17 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger scott said...

It is definitely worth trying at least once. I would be happy to get in a game with you if you do make good on your threat or Brian should happen to bring his.

 
At 9:43 PM, December 20, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Someday MMP will update / reprint...

Wish me luck....:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37827

 
At 11:07 AM, December 21, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Up Front is surprisingly easy to learn, except by reading the rules. Sadly, that's how I learned it. I was so frustrated that I retyped all the rules needed for the first few scenarios as a bullet list.

Scenario A takes maybe an hour once you know the basics.

Perhaps I'll go and type up the next few sections of the rules (I think I understand the mortar/bazooka rules, but the APVs confuse me).

 
At 5:46 PM, December 21, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

Brian and I played once many moons ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit, although it clearly has a learning curve.

The "no-map" thing is pretty intriguing.

 
At 6:13 PM, December 21, 2008, Blogger scott said...

I am definitely up for a game whenever and think I recall enough from when I used to play a lot with a friend of mine to help people over the learning curve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home