Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cylon Wedding



Our first game (after Race) was .... BSG. Big shock. Jacqui, Travis, Chris, Dennis and Me. We had no cylons off the deal. After a horrific start (with something like one jump in the first 6 cards despite scouting and Roslin's power). As I declared in the middle of the game, I was destined to became a cylon with a brutal human victory.

So I becamse a cylon ... the only good news was that Dennis jumped on his turn right before my turn, and I was admiral. So I could pick a horrible jump, reveal (brigging the others) and hope. So I jump into an ambush, and Dennis's crisis forces him to brig someone if he fails. D'OH! So no brigging anyone for me. I did get the "Massive Assault" super-crisis, but it was too late. I never got another turn. Chris revealed as Roslin, which was a mistake, but the humans were going to win.

The second game added Michael and Tiffany and subtracted Dennis and Travis. I was Roslin and a cylon off the deal. Another horrible start, but with a sudden jump and cleared. I did some minor tweaking on the crisis deck, but basically played it straight, trusting the Maker to provide a good knife point. After the jump things got confusing a bit. I let Chris (as Boomer) get out of the brig. The problem was that he very well could have been a Cylon, so I wasn't sure what to do. Jacqui revealed on her turn, and it was open. I decided not to reveal on my turn, since Roslin's ability was so good, and re-brigged Boomer via Presidential Order. Then disaster struck. Both crisis cards I drew were a: non-jumps and b: not really horrible. [33 when lots of cylons were already on the board, and something else]. So now people were pretty sure it was me. (Adama jumped into an ambush or something to keep doubt alive for a bit).

But it didn't really matter. Boomer was in the brig, Michael grabbed the presidency and played two executive orders to boost morale, but forgot to assign the VP. Since I wasn't in the brig, I re-ran for president and won, and gave up all pretense of Humanity. I got to take advantage of a "President chooses" and generally messed things up. In the end, the married Cylons prevailed. Roslin is just immensely powerful.

After that Michael, Chris and I played Le Havre. I liked it, butI'll have to play a few more games to decide if on if it's good, great, or other. A few games of Race rounded out the evening.

In other news FFG published some variants, including a "No sympathizer" variant. (You start with a few less resources, and Cylons draw 3 cards instead of 2. I think that perhaps the Alexfrog/7 Spirit variant may address that better... reduce, food/pop/morale by one, the first cylon to reveal gets two super-crisis cards, the last cylon to reveal gets to take an cylon action after revealing...). I don't like the gami-ness of the Sympathizer, since it forces humans to act like Cylons and vice-versa.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, December 13, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I am very sad that I did not get to play Le Havre. Based on what I saw I will like it. I just don't know when I will have time to play. January maybe? :sigh:

 
At 9:30 PM, December 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Le Havre is a handful. Many many things you can do, and I think Brian summed it up well by saying "It's not intuitive." At the beginning, it seems pretty clear what the best move is at any given time, but as time goes on, it gets tough to stay focused and be efficient. There just is really a large number of things you could do with a limited number of moves.

Come by tomorrow, Tiff, and we'll teach you how to play. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

As of right now, I'm number 2 on the all time list of BSG plays among those who log their plays on BGG (I'm sure Michael would be as well if he logged his plays). I have no desire to be number 1. I'm ready to play something else, I think.

 
At 9:34 PM, December 13, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for playing something else.

 
At 8:47 AM, December 14, 2008, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

"Yay for playing something else."

Yeah, like a variant of BSG.

 
At 12:38 PM, December 14, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

The guy who played 180 games yesterday knocked you down to #3, Chris. He's ... dedicated.

Still thinking about Le Havre, which is a good sign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home