Sunday, January 27, 2008

Getting the Band Back Together, etc


Narrator (Jim Forbes): The dream was over...
Narrator: Coming up, was the dream really over? Yes it was...
Narrator: Or was it?

Jacqui and I arrived (kids in tow) at Franka Recording Studios in time to witness the breaking up of the band. The kids took over the XBox, meaning that our games were serenaded by interesting renditions. Chris and Ben played fought World War II ("Modern day warrior, mean mean stride") while Sean and Tiffany mingled with prostitutes in London ("Wham bam, thank you ma'am"). Meanwhile, Dennis suffered the typical fate of Spinal Tap drummers, but during the Superbowl ... suffering two straight losses as the Patriots ("You sit there in your heartache waiting for some beautiful boy to rescue you from your old ways...")

I contented myself with the odd game of Race, or Glory to Rome.


By this point, everyone felt the need to watch worm pinatas do the dance of romance and love.

Thanks again to Chris for hosting, complete with Music, Mayhem and Pinatas.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, January 27, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Apparently everyone posted within a few minutes of each other. But only I thought to add the Pinata Worm Dance!

 
At 3:13 PM, January 27, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Great post. I finally broke down and picked up GH3, which means maybe in a few months I'll be ready to be a band understudy.

Combat Commander was great fun, and I greatly appreciate Chris suffering through the learning curve with me.

 
At 4:28 PM, January 27, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

Viva piñata is the gayest game ever.

Good read

 
At 6:53 PM, January 27, 2008, Blogger Simon said...

If Viva Pinata is the gayest game ever, I might be a transvestite. Seriously, that is one great video game and easily one of the best on the 360...

 
At 9:45 PM, January 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Viva piñata is the gayest game ever.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's no Call of Duty, that's for sure. But all the reviews I read kept saying it was actually fun for grownups, and there weren't a lot of other great games for XB360 at the time, so I picked it up. It is cutesy but it has so many easy achievements...sweeeet achievements...my precious...

BTW, good to hear from you, Rob. Come visit.

Of note, I finally played a game of Race for the Galaxy that came down to the tiebreak of cards in hand. Three words: One. Card. Short.

Combat Commander was fun. Yeah, we looked up rules about every 90 seconds, so we haven't quite mastered it yet, but I like the randomness thrown in with the triggered events. Well, except the time when one of my American leaders reappeared wounded DEEP in enemy territory (in a Willem Dafoe running out of the jungle at the end of Platoon kind of way), only to be greeted immediately by a Nazi rescue unit ("Hi there! Are you lost?") and turned into extra VP for the enemy. Grrr.

I can see how serious wargamers might dislike the card-driven nature of the game, but Ben and I really liked it. Too bad I lost a battle that the Americans won in real life, but hey, at least I didn't get play JFK and lose to Nixon in 1960: The Making of the President. That would just be embarrassing.

Oh, wait...

 
At 1:17 PM, January 28, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

I really like the way that CC creates the feeling that the world doesn't end at the edge of the map. Random bullets come zinging out of nowhere.

I can see how some folks wouldn't like that, but I would argue they should be playing chess or go, not a wargame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home