Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Insanity Begins

This weekend I started the long journey of painting my BL minis.

Luckily I have one extra archer and two extra goblins. I used the archer as basic practice. As we say in the R&D world: "Good, I've finally begun making mistakes."

In other words, he turned out hideous.

It's not surprising since I've only ever painted a single mini more than 20 years ago, and that was a hack job on a much larger mini.

Still, I'm optimistic. I have over 200 little suckers to practice my technique. Worst case scenario, I'll pick up a used BL set some place and/or play w/ ugly minis.

I'll throw out updates from time to time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, January 13, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for the update. Post some pictures as you progress. I'd love to see your results and get tips.

I have a second copy of War of the Ring (bought before they announced the Deluxe Ed)that I plan on painting the minis someday.

 
At 8:06 PM, January 13, 2008, Blogger Schifani said...

Definitely paint lightly. It is then possible to come back and paint over what you don't like.

Did you prime in black?

 
At 10:40 PM, January 13, 2008, Blogger Simon said...

Embrace the dry brush technique. You get all the shadows and highlights with little work, especially if you prime in black first.

 
At 12:37 PM, January 14, 2008, Blogger Ted Kostek said...

A few quick comments during lunch here. I'll throw up some photos tonight.

With the expansions, I am probably pushing 300 minis. Realizing I want to actually *play* this thing, I have made the strategic decision to keep my standards low.

There's a saying in photography: a good photographer is some one who has taken 10,000 bad photos. At the end of this I'll have 300 bad minis, and I'll be on my way.

I primed in black, and I tried some washing and dry brushing. I am going to switch to white for the rest of this project for the following reasons.

1. My dry brushing techique sort of stinks right now. Plus, I realized I was spending a lot of time and strokes painting my paper towel instead of the mini. Too much time.

2. The black primer showed through almost all the colors and I had to use multiple coats of almost all colors. Too much time.

3. These guys are small. The details are even smaller. If I can just get some color on the board then it'll be a vast improvement over the gray.

One surprise I found is that it's just hard to get the brush to some spots.

My wash results were mixed. I think it's tough to get the right thickness.

I plan to spend more effort on some of the special units like the creatures. There are few of them, and they are a lot bigger. After a few hundred minis my technique should be a lot better, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home