Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Workers of the World Unite!



I don't know if any of the gamers with MLK off made it to Dragon's Lair - the "workers of the world" made it to the table at around 5ish. Brian and I played a few more games of Race For The Galaxy - the 2-player 2-actions-per-turn version. I have to say - if you like the game and haven't tried this version, you really need to give it a whirl. It amps up what is possible to do, and makes for a very fast-paced two player game. I continue to improve, and finally am at a place where I'm not self-destructing on a regular basis. In fact, I even took away a victory or two last night. Thanks, Galactic Federation! I can never keep count (and it's always "just one more"), but I think we landed something like 6 games before Al showed up around 7ish.

We played one more game of Race, this time with three players, and it was a pretty tight contest. I think Al scored close to 35 points, I had 41, and Brian a few more than that. I think I had played twice the games Al has before I came close to the 30 point mark, so kudos for that. As much as the game is a competition amongst each other, I've found that I am also trying to beat my previous "bests" in the game. That's not always points, depending on how quickly the game ends, but also avoiding past mistakes, combining good cards, planning ahead for the end-game, and other various game activities. I don't know that there's a game I've played this many times that I still am this interested in...

Finishing up the night was Vegas Showdown - I was suprised to learn that my game was unpunched... apparently we've always played someone else's copy at game night. After a few turns I caught/passed up everyone on the income track, but some lack of foresight on my part and plenty on Brian's let him grab a Nightclub for 8 vp. A handfull of turns later he also was the only one holding enough cash to pick up the theater, which is worth 12 vp. The rest of the game was a battle for the small stuff. I think I suffered from a little too much "analysis paralysis" as I tried to conceive of some way to make up a 20 point deficit, but it was a losing battle. This is a great game, but with three seemed to suffer a little from the runaway leader syndrome. I'm going to blame the game instead of my poor play. :)

On a side note - I miss everyone! Mondays have gotten a little slim lately. Is this temporary? I know that semesters/holidays/etc go in phases...

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, January 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean,
Thanks for the writeup! I check in on the website a few times daily because I keep hoping other people will post their session reports. I've had to miss the past few Mondays (and will miss the next one, too, unfortunately) but hopefully will start making regular appearances starting in February again.

We need to play some Tichu again, even if its just a few hands.

 
At 7:26 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

The Slackers of the World posted a brief session report under the original planning post. We were too lazy to create a fresh post for the after action discussion. DL was filled all MLK afternoon with the sound of shotgun blasts and dying demonspawn ala' Doom.

This slacker then retreated back to his flophouse for several more hours of Mass Effect on the X-Box. Man... its three more days until my next 3-day weekend! What a drag!

 
At 2:38 PM, January 23, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

My Mondays are suddenly a lot less hectic since the PhD candidacy exam isn't until August, or earlier if I so choose, so I should start showing up again on Monday's and maybe even some Saturdays.

Would it be bad of me to mention that I have yet to play Race for the Galaxy yet? I think I might be the only one.

 
At 4:50 PM, January 23, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Bad Tiffany. Bad.

That pretty much sums up the gaming ... I have monday's open, although I'm still trying to adjust to Jacqui getting up at 0-400 ("The O stands for 'Oh my god it's early'"), which means I'm less likely to game until midnight mondays.

Vegas Showdown has quite a bit of luck. We got one of the slots card when I had a lead in slots, and both the restaurant cards ($ and VP) when I had a lead in that...

But it's also an auction game where the right answer is to not bid on anything, and I really like that. I'll get to 10 plays this year, as I'm happy to see that every now and then.

 
At 7:20 AM, January 24, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I have to admit, the existence of no pre-rush hour gamers gives me pause. I hate driving out there in traffic so getting there at 4pm and meeting Brian when that was a possibility was much more appealing than driving out there at 6pm.

Those that have played halo with me have a decent idea about what bad traffic does to me.

I'll make a concerted effort to come to an upcoming monday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home