Tuesday, May 16, 2006

SABG PBEM Diplomacy

Through careful study, I believe I've found a good way for us to try out PBEM Diplomacy within the club. A huge community, actively supporting hundreds of players, and many, many variations of Diplomacy is at The Diplomatic Pouch.

The Diplomatic Pouch has a handy dandy web-based PBEM judging service called DPJudge with way more bells and whistles than I ever could have conceived. The initial learning curve looks pretty short, and playing the game, once its set up, really just involves sending an e-mail to the server each turn to process your moves. Of course, there's all sorts of other deviltry affoot in the game as you lie, cheat, and backstab each other under the table...

To test things out and get everyone up to speed on the initial steps to play, I have set up a test game, called SABGtest here: link. Just register under the DPJudge website at The Diplomatic Pouch. Then, go to the test game's page at the above link and join. The password to join the test game is: sabg.

We need seven players for a good full game. Hopefully there's sufficient interest for this endeavor to move forward....

10 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

I've played Diplomacy, and to be blunt, it's evil. I had a $50 copy of the game, and I threw it away. The point of this game is to tear people apart.

I like war games as much or more than most folks, but I won't play this game.

 
At 11:40 PM, May 16, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I agree.

 
At 6:09 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Wow... maybe this isn't such a good idea... I have never played before, but I thought it might fun as long as everyone remembers its just a game. Still, I wouldn't want to play anything that causes real hard feelings or isn't fun for everyone.

 
At 11:49 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Well I was willing to give it a try if only to "see" the evil others talk about.

For some reason, i can't register. I'll try it again later today.

 
At 7:31 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Eh, Evil is a strong word. I didn't actually mind my few games of dip, but it's more of a PBEM game than a FTF game. It just takes too long. Rather play A game of thrones.

In any case, I've registered ... as long as it's not a fast turnaround it should be fine.

 
At 6:14 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Whoops, looks like the Game Master can't be a Power as well. That's okay, as it looks like theres a lot of fun things to do as GM.

Six slots left...

 
At 6:17 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I set up the test game's turn interval at 5 days. Feedback welcome.

 
At 2:53 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

Well, OK, maybe "evil" is too strong a word. But did you know this game has been banned on a lot of submarines?

It's easy enough to say "Let's all rememeber this is just a game," but the emotional impact of a backstab is quite harsh.

Maybe it's my personality. Dunno.

Hope you have fun with it.

 
At 5:28 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Ted, maybe through PBEM it won't be as painful as face 2 face.

 
At 3:04 PM, May 21, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

We're up to three players... Rob, Richard, and Brian. Surely we can get enough people for a 7 player game? At one turn every five days, I don't expect the time commitment would be significant.

If anyone from outside SABG is just stopping by and has an interest, please feel free to join in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home