Friday, May 12, 2006

5-10 Session Report


Oh, it was the very last Wednesday night gaming at Patrick's house. Well, in San Antonio anyways. Playing with you guys is definaly mixing with High Society. I answered the door at 7pm to find Jon and Michael. We promptly started a game of High Society, since we wanted a quick game before Kendahl showed up. First up was the Painting for 3. Before we were able to auction it off, Jeff showed up. What a pleasant surprise! Then, within minutes, Kendahl! So, we had a nice 5 player game going without having to start over. I believe Jon picked up the painting and next up was the Hooker for 2. After picking up the Hooker, Michael correctly pointed out that she clearly has more replayability than a painting and should be worth more. Turns out, if it did he would have won. Then came the 10. I've only played this game a few times, but I felt that investing a lot in the 10 could be worth it. I think I went to 38 big ones. Proved to be the last purchase I would make. Michael proceeded to pick up 2 2Xs. Kendahl got stuck with the Kill card. Jeff got the 9 and the -5. Then the game ended with the last 2X. 10 wins the game. I simply love this game. Lots of table talk makes it even more enjoyable. I thought I might lose because of too little money...a great mechanic from the great doctor. This game seems to have a little too much gambling in it though. I would really like to try a variant where you get to see what will be auctioned up next.

Next up, Succession. I had to break into my boxes to find this one. I think maybe we should have left it boxed up. This game seems like one of those games where everyone needs to have played it several times.

Quote from ynnen on BGG:
- Succession demands A LOT of its players. Since everything is open for negotiation, the haggling quickly overshadows other elements of the game. After all, the haggling is the game. However, the haggling can take a long time -- some sort of time limit should be imposed.

We didn't negotiate nearly enough, but the game definatly excels in that arena. Jon seemed to be running away with the game, but Kendahl put a choke hold on him with 2 well played cards, then it seemed that Jeff would win, but Michael pulled out a squicker with more money on the tie. It was fun...maybe too long and we were too amatuer for this kind of game night.

Then, the highlight of most game sessions: Ra. I love this game. It seems to have exactly the right amount of gambling. Kendahl's first time to play it, and he did rather well. I'm happy he finally got to play this one. First round left me holding my 13...never a good thing. Michael quickly turned his sun tiles into 1, 2, and 5. Jeff took a hit of -2 but ended with very good sun tiles which proved to be very benificial in the 2 epoch. In fact, after that second epoch I thought the game was his. Michael succeeded in picking up each of the monuments, but may have been playing under different interpretations of the rules, which proved to be his downfall. I think everytime I play this I hear new rules. The epoch ended with Jeff maxing out an auction all byu his lonesome. If I had gambled better, that could have been me! In the 3rd epoch I payed highly to pick up a pharoh, tying me with Jeff for the most. Maybe too highly, but I felt a Ra streak coming up and sure enough it must have been 8 out of the next 12 tiles were Ra. The epoch ended early and I pulled out the victory over Jeff due to high sun tile totals, or tied pharohs...however you want to look at it. This game is definatly a keeper. I like to keep my sun tiles high and make sure to get a Civilization every epoch. I also feel that keeping the lead on pharohs proves to be very beneficial. Those are the general strategies. If the opportunity presents itself, monuments can be very lucerative, but since they only score once, I don't put much effort there.

Then Kendahl left. It was really good to play with you on Wednesdays! I hope we can meet up some time in the future.

Then I managed to convince Jeff to stay and try out my umptinth version of Vices & Virtues. I really appreciate you guys helping me out here. The game still needs a lot of work. In fact, I've got one more change I would like to try. If it doesn't make the game fun, I may put this one on the shelf indefinatly. I like the partner/opponent mechanic and the passing message should prove to be fun if I can make it slick. Anyways, thanks for staying after Jon, Michael and Jeff!

I will definately make an appearance on Monday. I hope to see you guys there. Since I won't see you there Jon, thanks for showing up all those Wednesdays! It was great, I just wish we could have played some better 2 player games. Don't hesitate to phone me whenever you are in Austin.

I'm out!

7 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Patrick brought out the chocolate-coated goodness voluntarily. He knew the dangers. I look at it as doing him a favor - that's two fewer items he'll have to move.

 
At 1:03 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

Patrick wrote: "[Ra] seems to have exactly the right amount of gambling."

I like this game a lot, and I strongly agree with your sentiment about gambling. I played once on a Monday a few weeks ago, and on the strength of that I bought a copy. I like the gambling, and I like the auction.

By this time I've played enough Knizia games that I'm getting a feel for him, and this game is classic Knizia:

-- some auction elements
-- enough randomness to be interesting, but not so much as to destroy planning and strategy
-- interesting scoring
-- elegant mechanics with a somewhat thin theme

Patrick: I'm glad for the games we played and I'm sorry there weren't more. It sounds like Austin will be good times all around for you.

 
At 1:45 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I'm definitely sure the "Hooker" is actually supposed to represent "Jewelry." It is High Society after all.

 
At 10:15 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Excellent session reports.

LOL Simon... Just thinking you could buy a hooker made me want to get High Society. I've never played, but it sounds great!

Ahhh....Ra. I knew Kendahl would like it. I've only played once (that game night...a long time ago when I met Dennis). It was a blast. Would like to play it more to start honing in on the strategies.

Patrick... I won't make it this upcoming Monday. I really wish you the best in Austin. Keep us informed about your upcoming releases!

 
At 10:26 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Wow, what a hobby... Egyptian Gods and hookers in the same discussion. I want to try Ra!

 
At 10:38 PM, May 12, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

For Ra nuts

CLICK HERE

Ra Ra Ra!

 
At 12:00 AM, May 14, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I love Ra too, but the game seems to play completely differently with a mouthful of caramel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home