Thursday, May 18, 2006

Once More Into the Space Cannon's Breach, 26 May 2006

Based on some preliminary discussions we had last night at Jeff and Amy's house, I was wondering if anyone is interested in joining me on Friday, 26 May 2006 for a game of Twilight Imperium 3? I have the day off, and Friday is the beginning of a long weekend for most of us, so I thought it might be a good opportunity to dust off this monster. The only things I would request are:
  • We'd start as soon as DL's doors open at 1000.
  • We get at least four and preferrably six players.
  • Everyone review the rules at some point during the coming week.
Variants I'd recommend we play with are:
  • Age of Empire (see rulebook)
    • All objectives are revealed at beginning of game
  • Ancient Throne (see official variants)
    • ISC doesn't award victory points
    • ISC does allow free extra build, plus claiming of multiple objectives in one turn
If you're interested, please reply to the blog post. If there's insufficient interest, then maybe we can set up something else slightly less hardcore...

10 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Are people interested in monday as "Large Wargame(-ish) day" (ala Sword of Rome?)

 
At 5:37 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Wow, I would like to, but I think I'll be spending most of the day with my wife. I can probably make it in to Dragon's Lair a bit early though, so a CDG like Wilderness War or Wellington (i.e., 3-4 hours) would be very possible. I just peeled the shrink off of both this week, so I'd love to try one out.

 
At 7:26 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Chad said...

I'm pretty sure I'm working that day, but if I'm not then I'll definately show up. TI3's my all-time favorite.

As far as variants go, my group uses the ISC = 1VP one. Makes it a decent bonus but nowhere as good as before. With that variant used the ISC'd often not get picked simply because all of the other options are far more fun than gaining 1 measily point and giving everyone else the chance to build again.

The "no VP, free build, and multiple objective claiming" one sounds pretty decent as well.

All in all, though, I wish the ISC did something else entirely. Revealing objectives and giving other players a chance to build works for me, but none of the variants, or the initial rule, seem quite as "cool" as the other SCs. All of the other SCs do things that fit the respective strategy. Diplomacy blocks off potential attacks, Initiatve lets you go first, Warfare lets your fleets move twice a turn, and so on. But Imperial just... lets you get VP. It doesn't give the sense of your race focusing its efforts on that particular strategy other than getting you closer to winning. Maybe if it was something along the lines of "Place 2 ground troops on a neutral planet. This planet must be in a system where you have a fleet." Something along those lines that gives a real "feel" for imperialism or whatever.

Anyway, enough of that. If I'm not working, I'm there.

 
At 7:50 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

Just to clarify, I mean monday Memorial Day, not next monday.

 
At 8:36 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

have fun ...

 
At 9:59 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Dang... I was hoping Rob would get a day off that day. The Barony of Letnev needs you!

 
At 2:44 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

I have to check out my schedule, but in principle I'm interested in both these ideas/games. I'm also interested in the idea of 7 Ages.

I doubt I'll be around this Mon night for games.

 
At 5:26 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Well technically I'll be off from 7am to 8pm.

From 5/27 to 6/30, I work from 8pm to 7am, so please don't invite me to gaming sessions. the pain....

 
At 6:41 PM, May 20, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I'm interested

 
At 8:07 PM, May 23, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

Well, it doesn't look like a resounding response for TI:3 this week.... I'm still up for gaming all day on Friday for all that care to join!

Shall we convene at 1000?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home