Thursday, December 15, 2005

December 14th Post-session

Thanks to Patrick for hosting another well-attended Wednesday session. Amy and I were treated to a demo of Hunting Party while we waited for everyone else to arrive. The quality of the cards was amazing and the demo left Amy and I both eager to play a full game. Lots of neat mechanics blended together with the fantasy theme which will always appeal to me.

Once everyone (Amy, Jeff, Patrick, Kendahl, Simon, and Jonathan) had assembled, we got down to the business of bleeding the treasury of a Central American country dry via a game of Junta. I was not impressed with the quality of the bits in this West End Games reprint. The counters were all of flimsy cardstock and got fairly banged up just by being separated. The cards and money were standard quality, and while the board was a bit garish, I did like the clearly marked boundaries and the easy-to-follow phase tracks. The coveted office of president was heavily competed for from the word go, and the game stuck to its theme of corrupt politics like gum to a sneaker sole. There were at least a dozen assassination attempts, while bribes were solicited and given. Alliances were forged and broken at the drop of a hat. We cut the game short after Patrick managed to steal all the money from Kendahl that Kendahl had stolen from Amy. That gave Patrick what seemed to be an insurmountable lead, even though the game was at best only halfway done. Overall, it's a solid game with tons of player interaction. I'd be willing to play it again, especially now that we understand the turn order and the strength of the various roles. After a single play, I give it a 7 out of 10. One final thought: Amy and I had a conversation during the drive home that was inspired by Patrick's insightful comment "You know, 90% of the game has absolutely nothing to with the board." We think the game could have been done entirely as a cardgame without losing any theme and with the bonus of trimming off all the coup 'wargame' rules. It could be replaced with something simple like: Each role has X units assigned to it. In the event of a coup, role one die for each unit that your role controls (you can get temporary bonus units from cards). Declare yourself to be part of the Junta or a loyalist. Add up all dice for each side, high total wins.

Amy and I had to call it an early night. Everyone else stuck around and played ....something. I'm sure the details of the rest of the evening will be filled in later.

9 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a lively session. I'm sorry I missed the chance to make a few assasination attempts of my own!

I'm back in town now and ready to get hot dipped in holiday gaming action. I really need to get back to board gaming... while out of town and jonesing for games, I almost actually reactivated my World of Warcraft account... Noooooo!!

 
At 12:28 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Simon said...

Well, I'll fill in the rest since it only seemed to go downhill from there...

JUNTA
First off, Jeff is right about the components. The quality is somewhere in-between cute throwback to the original 70's game and "hey, we're a really cheap company so eat it." Although my main complaint would have to be that the game has a grossly delayed ending mechanism (when the money card pile has been exhausted). I think when we ended it by vote, there were a good 2, maybe 3, thousand turns left. The rules could've used a bit of simplification as a lot of things were a bit fiddly and awkward. The coup was like a game within a game that I found to be totally unnecessary (although a bit fun).

FIST OF THE DRAGONSTONES
Maybe bidding is not my cup of tea, but a blind bidding game all by itself seems kinda stupid. The fun dissipates slowly from turn to turn as the rounds start to get really repetitive. I could get talked into playing again though I'm not entirely keen at the moment.

MYSTERY OF THE ABBEY
Man, Kendahl wasn't kidding. This game sucks. Jon ended up breaking the game from turn three by honest mistake and so we played a game with no hope of any resolution for the next hour and a half afterward. While the production values are top-notch, not surprising given Days of Wonder (even came with a little bell to cue mass), the game itself is clue dressed up to the neck in whistles and bells. Of course, they all serve only to make the game longer and progressively more mindless. There's no deduction going on here and even if there was - it would only help to further break the game (since a miss-marked suspect can sink the whole affair). Thoroughly lame.

HUNTING PARTY
Easily the best game of the session and I do intend that as a compliment. While our game was cut short by a lucky first guess on the shadow by Kendahl, I'm going on very little. We could have kept playing, but knowing all his weaknesses from the get go made it sorta pointless. From what I did gather the mechanics seem very interesting. I especially liked party shares which serve to reduce your bounty collection in hunts in order to recruit a stronger party or vice versa. I'm not totally sold on the Clue-like ending mechanism but I definitely need a lot more plays to make any formed opinions. Kudos on the components though. I've flirted with the idea of professional game designer, in various fields, and to see what Patrick was able to accomplish really does make me feel a little more comfortable with the fantasy.


All in all, I had an enjoyable time. A bad day of games is a whole lot better than a good day of...well, almost anything. Patrick was a gracious host, bringing much candy and jokery. I can't wait to see you all again.

Cheers, Simon


-Oh and Patrick says my avatar is 'morbid'... Is this true?

 
At 12:32 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Simon said...

I think I need to clarify that Mystery of the Abbey was broken unknowingly from turn three. So we essentially wasted all that time with no idea of what had happened.

 
At 12:56 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Possible interpretations of your avatar:

1. A sad, lonely guy trapped in a soul-killing office job; about to jump and end it all.

2. A cute little happy guy looking at the pretty blue sky and dreaming of future fun gaming sessions.

I'm guessing #2 is the correct answer. :)

 
At 1:53 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Jeff said...

I should point out that the "Junta could very easily be a cardgame" idea was all Amy's, and the quite-possibly-crappy house rules to change it were mine.

Ben: Be strong! The only WoW you need is the WoW boardgame. And Caylus.

 
At 2:44 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Simon said...

Kendahl: I wouldn't say I disliked Junta, just that I think it needs a bit of work. A lot of the aspects of the game were really fun. I just wrote about what struck me in my mini-review. For example giving Jon the Minister of Internal Securities and a 2 million Pesos kick-back to not assassinate me while I sat on a fat pocket roll of 6 or so mill only to have him backstab me anyway was kinda cool (even though I hope he contracts some kind of flesh-eating virus for that). The game reminds me of Citadels or as Ben mentioned, Twilight Imperium, except with a funny event track and wargame added in. With Jeff and Amy's input and a streamlined voting process, much like you yourself mentioned, I think this could truly be a fantastic game. I believe all games have some gem of an idea hidden deep inside them. -Some are just better at exposing and working off of them than others. So I guess I don't mean to sound really negative about it as I would definitely be up for a revised play.

 
At 4:10 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Jeff said...

Regarding Junta house rules, maybe the best thing to do is put the game aside for a while (say, until some time in February) so that opinions can mellow a bit, and then take another crack at it with the rules as written. Unless the game is a real stinker, I'm always in the "give the designers and playtesters the benefit of the doubt" camp. If Junta still feels like it needs work after a second play, maybe we can incorporate some house rules.

 
At 6:57 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

Holy cow, the game definitely seems to inspire passion! Any game that needs a three month cool off period is one I need to try at least once.

 
At 12:30 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

Man...another cool gaming session that I missed.

JUNTA
Kendahl, I'm with Jeff. I'd love to try Junta with no variants at least for the first few games. Being the only "latino" in the group, I feel strongly compelled to play in La Republica de los Bananos. Hope these lukewarm reviews don't discourage people from trying it again once I'm back in SA.

FIST
I've come to the conclusion that this is Kendahl's favorite mechanic. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I actually am grateful for that because I felt like Simon about auction games. Now thanks to you I realized that games like Modern Art and Ra are really fun and have lots of strategy.

Mystery
Well Ben, you need to add my opinion on Shadows over Camelot to your list of Days of Wonder flops. Kidding...again, I don't think it's a stinker, but I'd rather play something else.

Colossal
Wow.... no unicorn bashing.

Gaming in PR
Today I want to the largest shopping mall in PR (christmas shopping), and was appalled by the lackluster tiny gaming store it has. Most of the gaming that is done there is limited to RPG's, and CCG's.... there's absolutely no board games. It reminded me of how much I wanted to have what WE have created in SA (a cool group of gamers that meets regularly, plays games, eats pizza, bashes unicorns, and dissects games, etc). So I bowed my head for a second in front of the puny store, shed a tear thinking of the fun my gaming buds are having in SA, and ran like a little girl to the Bose store to indulge in kick ass sourround sound heaven. :)

Happy Holidays to all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home