Saturday, December 10, 2005

Collecting Lost Gems


A good amount of the effort I devote to boardgaming is focused on recovering games I used to own and enjoy, but somehow disposed of in the past. Thank goodness for E-Bay!

A few of the games I seek remind me of happy times growing up and playing boardgames with my family. Most though are just flat out great games I wish I still had so I could play again. Every once in a while, I’ll purchase a game that just isn’t as good or as cool as I remember from 20 years ago, but most are still extremely entertaining.

My most recent acquisition is a copy of Milton Bradley’s Bermuda Triangle (1976). What a fun game! Players move their cargo ships between Caribbean ports, trying to be the first to collect $350,000. A sinister, dark cloud moves around the map sometime sweeping over the fragile ships, magnetically lifting them from the board, never to be seen again. Bermuda Triangle is without a doubt a low brain power game, but still suspenseful and enjoyable.

Now to check on my bids on Storm over Arnhem and B-17 Queen of the Skies....

4 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, December 11, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:00 PM, December 11, 2005, Blogger Rob said...

You know, this is what I regret when I read stories like this on BGG. I was never much of a boardgamer back then. Other than your usual Monopoly, Life, Battleship...I didn't have any other cool games as a kid. Not even Risk. I think I played Risk twice in my life, and hated it.

In high school, my gaming centered around trying to play a decent campaign of AD&D second edition, and then eventually Magic the gathering. Boardgaming I picked up by accident last year as I focused my energies on PC gaming. Damn you Scrye Magazine and your special feature on a Board game named after my ________ (state/commonwealth....we really don't know what we are).

 
At 8:23 AM, December 12, 2005, Blogger Ted said...

Hey, regarding that missing post. Did some one make a comment they came to regret, or did the Bermuda Triangle hit our blog?

If it's the former, then know I have been there first.

If it's the later, then that's pretty funny.

tmk

 
At 7:20 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Ben said...

I was intrigued, Ted, but I checked, and it was Robert who deleted the mystery post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home