Thursday, April 30, 2009

First thoughts about Small World

So I got this Small World game that everyone's talking about in the mail recently. I really don't understand what all the fuss is. It's not that great of a game. If you like dancing children and world peace and all that garbage, it's pretty good I suppose, but otherwise...don't waste your money.

Seriously, I read through the rules last night for my copy of Small World that finally arrived, and there were a few big differences between it and Vinci that I noticed right away:

1) It plays for a set number of turns, not to a set score. Everyone gets the same number of turns.
2) Player score is hidden information.
3) I could not find any rule that penalizes you for expanding into territories next to your own declined civilizations. Declined civs don't disappear unless they're conquered or you decline a SECOND civilization.
4) It has different boards and different maps depending on the number of people that are playing, not just one set map for any number of players.
5) There's a die called something like a "reinforcement army die" that lets everyone attack at the end of their turn with a couple of armies that they don't actually have. It's kind of strange and I'm not sure how well that's going to work out. I guess it encourages conquest, though.

I'm sure there are a few more that are covered ad nauseum on BGG, but I've largely stayed away from the BGG discussions because I didn't want my opinion or experience to be slanted negatively by other people's criticism. Overall, I think it looks pretty fun. I'm not gaming this weekend or Monday, but hopefully we can get it to the table the following weekend.

7 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, April 30, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

"Declined civs don't disappear unless they're conquered or you decline a SECOND civilization.
"

I think this is also true for regular vinci.

Of all the changes, I think hidden scores may be the best one, if only because it limits AP. Oh, and I'm a sucker for nice components.

 
At 10:39 PM, April 30, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

Of note, I still haven't ordered it, but wouldn't mind having it.

 
At 7:43 AM, May 01, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

In Vinci, you also eliminate one of your declined units if you move adjacent to it -- ignoring this rule was the virtue of the Heritage power, if I remember correctly.

This just in -- Blood Bowl is awesome.

 
At 12:11 PM, May 01, 2009, Blogger scott said...

Dennis,

I got my beta log in information late but hope to try Blood Bowl out tonight and over the weekend.

 
At 6:19 PM, May 01, 2009, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:26 PM, May 01, 2009, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

It looks like a lighter, cuter (busier) version. I am ordering this because I think my pre-teen may enjoy it.

I will place an order soon through coolstuffinc.com let me know if any of you are interested --you can email me at mwhite16@satx.rr.com

 
At 10:02 PM, May 01, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Wish I had a BB beta code.... I signed up, but, alas, no love.

I dropped Small World out of my shopping cart a week ago or so. I may eventually get it, but I don't feel compelled to rush.

I think I've talked myself into pre-ordering Hellenes instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home