Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Session Report: I am epic fail as a farmer.

Session Report: I arrived late. Apparently Scott, Brian and Sean played Glory to Rome and RftG while they waited for me. They had given up hope when I cam sauntering in late, with my work laden bag of heavy. And I joined them for a game of Agricola that had ALMOST started. And one game was followed by another, and another.....

But I am epic fail as a farmer. I really am. I do not do well at the game. EVER. I am the same mediocre player. Three games in a row of not doing well, with a personal high score in a multiplayer game of 35 :). I tried the grain and veg strategy. I tried the expand my family and home strategy. I tired the a little bit of everything strategy. And I fail. And yet i love the game. I really do. It is so much fun, and so utterly frustrating. So much love for the game. Almost as much as Tikal. One of these days I will win. One of these days.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, September 16, 2008, Blogger seanp said...

I really like this game. I had a really nice help-me/hurt-you occupation where I got two food anytime I took reed... it only works well in a three player game where the take 1-reed/1-stone/1-food card isn't in play - but really put a cripple on Brian and Tiffany early on. However, I didn't play a good mid-game and played the end game in catch-up mode.

The combinations are what will keep this game interesting. That keeps the freshness - sort of like when an age-old game you know and love gets an expansion - it's a neat twist on the same old game. In Agricola, every game is that way.

 
At 3:08 PM, September 16, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Indeed, each game is different, and in each I find a different way to loose. But it is a fun challenge. :)

 
At 3:40 PM, September 16, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

Nope, I won't be getting tired of this game any time soon. Good stuff.

 
At 10:57 PM, September 16, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiff, I feel the same way. I don't see the path to victory during the game as well as I'd like, but it's a lot of fun nevertheless. I think there are more ways to break the rules with cards than there are rules to be broken. They each feel like their own little superpower when they start out in your hand. But everyone else gets cool superpowers too.

As an example, I just love the idea of the Grocer. You get access to a stack of resources that no one else does, and at your own pace. That's a pretty inventive way to break the rules.

 
At 12:31 AM, September 17, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Sean: I agree with the really liking the game, and you did have some kick butt occupations. Stupid reed collector food supplier card. Since I feel line I always play in catch up mode, always. I don't think I have ever played a game where I didn't feel that I was horribly behind.

Rob: I agree that I do not see myself tiring of it anytime soon. I just wonder how long that will last for the rest of the group. Maybe until we get new shiny games?

Chris: There are many card that break rules. We discovered a new fun one, that I should have played, but didn't. It might have made my life easier. It was something to the effect of the other players cannot take the resources until all the pieces have been placed. Which means they are forced to slow down their progress. Lovely Z deck contribution. It just seems like such an unfair card. I suppose I should get over that. What is unfortunate is when people get 5 or 6 good occupations and improvements and you have 7 mediocre ones. There is not always even player to player balance, but I suppose that is where my ever so lacking skillz come in.

 
At 12:31 AM, September 17, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home