Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Monday, Described

Scott and I showed up and chatted for a while ... nobody else was appearing, so we broke open Race. That worked, and soon there were five of us (Dennis, Sean and Travis). We held the first semi-irregular "Ted Kostek Memorial Beowulf game" where Dennis exhibited his typical poor strategy of choosing to fail the risks. (Actually, I think we got two rules wrong, so his loss is asterisked. He'll have to try again to get the official bad luck record). Just as we were putting this away Al arrived, so the circle was complete. We split into Baseball and Agricola.

I taught Al and Travis, Chris decided that work was optional (good choice) and off we went. I've got several plays under my belt (pushing ten, now) but there are so many occupations and improvements that I'm still seeing new cards each game. I think that there are critical points, but each game is different and still enjoyable. I've upped my rating to an '8', which still makes me one of the haters! Amazing. Al put out a pretty amazing engine to get extra clay and convert clay to food without actions, but I walked through the traffic and pulled out the win.

After that we played Modern Art. My strategy of only selling worthless paintings didn't work.

And then home we went.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, August 13, 2008, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

I had a great time Monday. I have since downloaded the solo-play flash program for Agricola and have been playing around with it a bit. Of course, the solo variant removes the greatest challenge of the game --being able to implement said strategy due to turn order!

I have also been looking into animal options for those of us endowed with cubes. Today I did locate some model train miniatures (OH scale) for both cows and sheep that were nice and inexpensive, however, they didn't have any pigs available. My daughter pointed out that I could get an extra pack of sheep and paint them pink --she has potential. Anyway, I will be looking forward to more farming in the future.

My box of games arrives tomorrow; I am looking forward to WoTR, so Ben (or any other enthusiast) if you would like to make arrangements to come by this weekend and teach the game post a note and I will set it up. I'd like to get a game in before my return to school Monday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home