Saturday, June 28, 2008

Asia Engulfed was worth the wait


I finally got Asia Engulfed on the table and I must say that I was pleased. Jose and I have been planning this for quite some time and we finally got our chance. I’ll be brief and tell you right off the bat that Jose won the game as the Japanese in our Guadalcanal scenario. I personally think that I was just a couple of turns from taking the island, but this was the short learning scenario. There were some great carrier battles, battleship engagements, American code breaking, and the quagmire in China was very interesting.

The game is similar to EE, but not so similar as to say that this is just EE in the Pacific. The mechanics and order of play are quite different. Also as this is really the first time I had played a Pacific WWII game, so I was having to unlearn some paradigms that have been in my brain for a long time.

I hope to play this game again before the end of the summer. Of course EE is always welcome at my table. Let me know if you are interested. Jose, I think we should rethink the mechanics and try again in a month or two with the entire war scenario. Thanks for dropping by.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, June 28, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

I'm getting ready to play this for a second time this coming Tuesday. I agree with everything you said including the comparison with EE. Like they say in the designer notes, the battle is much more complex, but the political rules are a lot simpler when compared to EE. The carrier battles with carrier based air units are pretty darn cool.

 
At 9:06 PM, June 28, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

Nice report. Glad you guys finally got to play this.

 
At 7:05 PM, June 29, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

Yes, the naval battles are really cool and somewhat nail-biting. Are you out of carriers? Cab your cruisers and battleships charge in and take on the enemy carrier force head-to-head?

Island hopping is also a strategy that needs to be learned. I started to figure this out on the final turn of the game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home