Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Apathy Continues--

So it appears that the what to play apathy did not leave our systems on Monday and remained with us for Saturday morning festivities. I arrived at casa de Chris on time plus or minus about 10 minutes. And somehow was the first to arrive. So we chilled until Scott arrived, then set about the monumental task of deciding on a game that could play three.

And after much discussion, some shrugging of the shoulders, and general -- well---hmmmmming, we settled on Cave Troll. Apparently chris owns a broken copy. But it wasn't a bad game. We joked that it was kinda a warm up to Descent, and in some ways it was, with the super awesome knights of you can't occupy the same room as me unless you are a knight, and the cave trolls or death and doom. And the treasure. But at least no monsters or blocks fell on our heads.

Travis arrived, and after a bit more of the apathy discussion and hmmmmming we decided on Pillars of the Earth and the expansion. Travis had not yet played the expansion, and Scott hadn't played the base or expansion, so we set out to build out cathedral -- in all its wonky abstract glory. Travis eeked it out for the win, though it looked like Scott was gonna run away with it for a while.

A trio of Bankler's arrived while we were playing Pillars, so there was some galactic racing in the kitchen while the game finished up.

And since we were now six, we decided to play Power Grid, and used the France map and the second plant deck. I will admit that my Power Grid strategy improves much each time that I play it, so I am pleased to say that I did not come in last this time. It was down to who had the most money in the end, and Chris nudged me and Jacqui out of the way to declare his victory. I will say I like the poker chips for money much better than the paper, but it is also a lot harder to keep ones poker chips a secret.

Scott left after Power Grid, and a little while after that for work. Yay research! All in all it was a nice Saturday of gaming, and I shall be very sad that there will not soon be another Saturday. It looks like Monday is a go for several people, which will be nice, since I think its my last real night of freedom, holiday weekends notwithstanding, until oh, the end of August. I might misbehave and sneak some gaming in as stress relief, but for the most part, I shall be a game free Tiffy. Except for SBW, since online gaming is something that I can totally do at work and home while grant writing.

I am sure that there will be some more to add to the session report -- since there was still, i believe, gaming in the works
when I left, but this is what I've got.

Oh-- one more thing. And this is a shameless plug. If anyone wants to play the Tiffany has to move from building 15 to building 8 game sometime around June 25-29th for fame, glory, vp, food, drinks, and maybe beer, let me know. :)

9 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, June 07, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

After Tiffster and Scott left we played Notre Dame, and Aidan told us what They Might Be Giants were teaching him. ("Dad, did you know the drummer is the key to the band?" "Is there a shape called a nonogon?" "Do you know what animal has three eyes?")

"We want cake! Where's our cake?"

 
At 6:37 PM, June 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite exchange of the day:

(after turning face up one of the last Power Grid plants):

"What is that?"

"It's The Card of Lose."


And don't forget the now-classic

"I one a skunk..."
"I two a skunk..."
"I three a skunk..."
.
.
.

and so on.

 
At 6:41 PM, June 07, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

The card of lose was fantastic, I will admit. Fantastic in the totally appropriate comment for a totally sucky card.

 
At 9:31 PM, June 07, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

Apathy or no, it sounds like you guys had fun.

I had fun in a "hard work in the yard" kind of way. I planted another 7 or so bushes to double the length of hedge. The big climax came in the last two holes had rocks almost as big as my head I had to dig out.

Dunno if I'll make Mon or not.

 
At 10:25 PM, June 07, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Ted, you are correct. It was a lot of fun, despite our inability to choose a game.

On another note-- I should push harder for Tikal. One of these days i will get it on the table again. I will. Maybe Monday. Since I am quite certain Monday will be a horrid day. And I should play something happy, right?

 
At 10:54 PM, June 07, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Push Harder for Tikal? We just played it last week, right?

 
At 11:30 PM, June 07, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

You don't have to play Brian. Really. I have no real hope that it will happen. I am just trying to find positive motivators for the brewing storm. Or something.

 
At 6:14 AM, June 08, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Maybe he's asking us to be one of these?

 
At 5:19 PM, June 08, 2008, Blogger scott said...

I will not be able to make it Monday night. Hopefully I can partake again next weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home