Saturday, May 31, 2008

Epic Zama

After spending the day under duress, I finally found myself left alone for a short while this evening, so I set up the epic version of Zama from Command and Colors:Ancients. Solo gaming is not always possible or entertaining in some systems, but the dice and cards do keep CnC:A unpredictable, and it is very light with regard to workload.

The game was a lot of fun, and it has interesting differences when compared to Epic Battlelore and M44. The Romans had a 13-11 lead, and only needed 1 more flag for victory. Despite having three excellent cards that all had multiple ways to eliminate that last unit, every combat roll failed to eliminate its opponent, and in many cases a lucky retreat flag allowed Carthaginian units to get out of trouble. Having lost a unit to a battle back, the Romans were then manhandled by the heavies (Hannibal's veterans) and lost 14-13.

Well worth the effort. By the way, for those who happen to like toy soldiers, check out Wargames Factory using Google or your favorite search engine. These guys are putting out everything needed for a miniatures version of the 2nd and 3rd CnC:A expansions. I pre-ordered 4 boxes tonight (2 Caesarian Roman and 2 Celtic) for a total of 192 foot. Cavalry and chariots are coming, not to mention English and French from the Hundred Years War. The incredible part is that these are in HARD PLASTIC and will make wonderful game pieces. I haven't decided yet if I want to paint them myself, send them to Sri Lanka, or just spray paint them the same solid colors as the blocks from the game.

The price is great, shipping is free, and even a scofflaw like myself can afford them after I settle my debt to society.

3 Comments:

At 4:47 PM, June 01, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

I'd be interested to play Epic Ancients some time.

I hear this has the best game play of the CC series. Thematically, however, I'm more interested in BL due to the fantasy connection.

I've been surprised at how cool my set is staring to look now that it's partially painted. A full blown Epic Ancients with painted minis would be spectacular.

Hey, do you know where I can pick up some catapults at this scale? Don't know if it's historical for the 100 yrs war, but I think I have some good house rules for catapults.

 
At 9:59 PM, June 01, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Steve, you couldn't have had more than one GTA4 star on you Friday. A little application of military pilot skills could have had led to successful evasion, or at least one heck a story for the blog.

My weekend was one of much hammering, drilling, painting, and inhalation of toxic fumes. I discovered another hidden cost of the board game hobby by dropping $400 on Elfa hardware for an rehab of the arsenal.

 
At 10:00 PM, June 01, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Solo is sometimes the best way to learn wargames. Evil Ben and I have had many epic matches over the years.

Speaking of which, I need to get EE to the table solo this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home