Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Out of Practice

Apparently one starts slipping if one goes too long without gaming, as evidenced by my horrendous results Monday night.

Typo
"6 Nimmt" with letters; form the beginning of a real world or scoop the longest row. Toward the middle of the game we had some decent words forming (EQUATE, CLUBS, ZIPS), but most of the time people were scooping two-card rows. Either there are too many wacky consonants, not enough vowels, or we are too evil to each other. Sean went out first with Tiffany only one card behind.

Strat-O-Matic Baseball
Three home games against Jon, the current league leader. In Game 1 Jon walked over El Duque 11-4, hitting all four of his homerun splits with rolls of 1, 1, 1, 3. Game 2 saw Brandon Webb enter the bottom of the ninth with a slim 7-6 lead and his rotator cuff sticking out of his neck. Even after a Travis Hafner double and a Chase Utley walk, Commandant Jon kept poor Webb out there, and pinch-hitter Jeremy Hermida stroked a two-out, two-run double for the 8-7 win. C. C. Sabathia finally pitched well in Game 3, scattering five hits and no walks over eight innings, and allowing only one run on a leadoff homer -- and lost 1-0, to real-life teammate Fausta Carmona's three-hitter. How did the Cleveland Indians not win the World Series?

Fun with stats:
Two of my top three picks, Sabathia and John Lackey, are 0-4 in six starts with an ERA of 8.72. Lackey, a starter(7), has yet to clear the fifth inning without exhausting.
Todd Helton's hitting streak was stopped at 11 games, but his OPS held steady at 1.126. But that's barely good enough for third on the team, behind Utley's 1.176 and ahead of Nick Markakis's 1.118.
In five pinch-hit plate appearances, Justin Hermida has 4 RBIs on two walk-off doubles.

Race for the Galaxy
I guess I've forgotten how to play. In four games I had three last places and one third, and in one game was 10 behind third. It didn't help that I drew only two 6-cost advances in all four games combined. But at least I played Malevolent Lifeforms once.

Pico
Microscopic Nim variant. Give me a couple of days to see if I can break it.

7 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Typo was a lot of fun, I will admit. So when the baseball was going on Rob, Sean and I played Hollywood Blockbuster. It was the first time that I had played it, and didn't do so bad all things considered. Sean and Rob totally beat me and had the advantage, but I suppose that is ok.

After that we played Ingenious. And we all got screwed by a lack of yellow. Sean just got screwed less since he had 5 yellow points instead of 4 like Rob and I did.

Sean, Rob and I also played Typo. And some interesting words were pulled out. A lot more vowels in this one that previously. And Sean and Rob played their last cards at the same time, though Sean managed to win it since his letter came sooner in the alphabet. I wont speak of how many cards that I had still let in my hand. Yeah.

Then we all scattered to the wind. And thats all i've got for my addition to the session report. It was a much appreciated and needed distraction. Its just too bad there isnt gaming tonight as well.

 
At 12:38 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

I played Wabash Cannonball with New Rob, Brian, and Master Deceiver. Great fun... Sort of 1830 light. Master Deceiver won.

New Rob, Brian, and I then played Fairy Tail, which is much more manly than it sounds. My Japanese diction translator was on the fritz, but the cards were kind, so I had a sip of victory.

Someone ruffled my feathers with another Maginot Line comment, so I then departed.

 
At 12:42 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Oh, and I just took a point of corruption damage by picking up GTA4. Anyone else do so yet?

 
At 1:38 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Ben -- were you posting from your phone again? Three comments in a row -- goodness.

 
At 1:38 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't forget Bohnanza.

I had no idea that Pico was going to be so much fun. I had Michael rattled - he ended up shuffling his cards to choose them, and I would still win. This led to the quote of the night - "How can he be in my head if it's RANDOM??!"

 
At 4:27 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

How could I forget Bonhanza. It was a good game. Close -- well except for Brian's win. ;)

 
At 9:07 PM, April 29, 2008, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I am still putting in all of my pitching stats, but here are my interesting batting stats after 10 games:

Bonds has an OPS of 1.301

Matsui has .306 and has hit into no less than 6 douple plays

Brad Hawpe, Matt Stairs, Brian Roberts, and Paul Lo Duca all have an OPS over 1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home