Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday events

So I don't know what went on Friday night, hence the title about Saturday, but I would imagine that there was some gaming. When I arrived at the house of Chris, Brian, Chris, and this new individual who introduced himself as the other Rob, were playing Enter the Dragon. I watched them for a turn of two, flipped through the rule book, and drank a lot of coffee (my travel mug and then some of the house coffee) to finish waking up. Ben arrived with a container full of games, and to pass the time while Enter the Dragon was finished, we played Fjords. Which was fun, and quick, and a nice easy to explain game. Ben won -- he had 4 tiles left to my 6. As Enter the Dragon finished up two members of the Band arrived, though there was not much rockin going on.

Michael and Brian played some baseball while Rob taught the rest of us to play Cuba. After various comments about the game being broken, we more or less for the hang of things, though Rob had to leave with his game before we could finish (though 5 of 6 rounds gives a very good feel for the game. (I guess it could be described as a hybrid of Pillars of the Earth meets Puerto Rico. That might just be me.)) Then there were five since Brian left sometime during the came of Cuba -- before Rob -- I think --

And then is where things got interesting. It was try and figure out what game to play -- and in the land of Tiffy and her Euro tendencies vs. the land of anti-Euro (though it might not be that stark of a division -- it was suggested that we play Descent. And I agreed.

Yes you read that right. I agreed. Why -- still not certain. But I did. I suppose that since I said I would be willing to try just about anything, that I should indeed try it, and we did not have the horrific campaign that happened last time they tried to play.

I might go so far to say that I enjoyed myself -- though I am still stumbling around trying to figure out what it going on, and am I doing things right -- so we shall see if my opinion changes as the weeks of the campaign wear on.

And thats all I've got.

8 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, April 19, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Jon said that was the first time he had played/watched Descent where it wasn't a soul crushing experience.

So obviously Ben was doing something wrong :).

Naah, thanks Ben for taking it easy on us and giving us sound advice about skills and characters. We may have won this battle but the war has just begun.

So for those interested (perhaps Dennis) I can fill in our characters:

I am the mage whose base ability adds +2 damage to magic attacks. I have the skill that lets me initiate my attack from any friendly character within 10 spaces of me (don't need LOS on the friendly character).

Although I start with 8 health, I never died. Ben managed to get 6 damage on me when I did something stupid and ran into a trap. But not only did I not take any battle damage, I'm fairly sure he never even made an attack on me yet.

Jon is our power attacker melee. His class/skill combo essentially give him a move and attack on our turn and then an interrupt move and attack on Ben's turn.

Chris is our damage soak tank. His character heals fatigue when damaged, and his skill allows him to lock down adjacent characters automatically so they can no longer move.

Finally Tiffany is a ranged/tankish character. She also has an anti spawn base ability and range attack boosting skill.

Our adventure was essentially:

Get ambushed on the way to a dungeon (and this encounter I think did the most damage of all we experienced).

Then go in a dungeon, crawl our way through level 1 (which was a paiun with the undying guys).

The second level was cake. The boss there was trash. And we took him out. Burn.

Then we called it for now.

Current score is something like 14-2 good. But Ben is about to cycle his deck.

 
At 11:27 PM, April 19, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I will admit that it did not help his cause that in the second level of the first dungeon that Ben could not roll to hit to save his life. The dice would not cooperate with him in the same that that they were cooperating when we were going after the question marks to get our awesome goods that are like treasure, but without the bonis points to Ben.

 
At 11:40 PM, April 19, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Ben was just respecting our Maginot line that served us so well last time we played an FFG game together. Very nice.

So looking at things, I think we should get Chris Taunt as soon as feasible. If he gets that and Jon hands over some of his ill gotten armor, he is the ultimate tank.

I don't see any skills that really improve me a huge amount right now. I think reasonably spending money on upgrading and purchasing new dice for me could serve us well.

 
At 2:48 PM, April 20, 2008, Blogger Schifani said...

I hated missing, as Ben rolling terrible is always a reason for churches to ring their bells in grateful relief.

I did see the Spurs.

 
At 3:52 PM, April 20, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

It seems the recent FAQ and a house rule or two have had the hoped for effect of having a closer game. Plus, most importantly, everyone seems to be having a better time.

Level 1 was quite a bit of fun, as I always enjoy running around with a couple undying monsters and listening to the howls of frustration. Even the white skeletons are a lot of fun.

I did a terrible job on Level 16 (second floor of our dungeon) with my initial setup, as I should have had the 2 Blood Apes positioned to leep over and make a Micheal sandwich instead of getting grappled and chopped up by Chris and Jon.

In any event, I think the next level is going to be pretty epic. You guys have treasured up a bit and seem pretty unbeatable, but I have a huge wad of threat. Hopefully I can take at least one or two of you down before the victory party.

My lieutenant is starting to get a bit nervous...

 
At 4:35 PM, April 20, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Michael: It sounds like a legit strategy.

Ben: I have no doubt that you and your horde are going to lay the smack down upon us soon. And the thought of nervous minions is not a pleasant one.

 
At 8:58 PM, April 20, 2008, Blogger Rob said...

"the other Rob" is the original, the one and only, the Tikal Master (I won on our first Spielbyweb Tikal). Nice to meet you.

Raab I'm sure is a swell guy too. :)

Oh, and the "broken" comments? That's what these guys say about EVERY game. At least I do. :)

 
At 9:11 PM, April 20, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Rob, I know all about the broken comments. I was surprised that there weren't more more broken comments.

The one the only original Rob, huh. Interesting. It was nice to meet you. If I have my way you will not remain the Tikal master of Speielbyweb for long. That sounded remotely like a challenge and I am always up for a challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home