Monday, April 14, 2008

Its phantom nun ghoul of prophecy...or something

So when I arrived at about 6:30 Sean was sitting at a table with Inkognito spread out on the table and Travis was headed out the door. While Travis wandered off in search of sustenance Sean and I attempted to tackle the rules. Travis wanders back with this food, and Jon and Brian trickle in. At this point Inkognito was set aside in favor the the attack of the easter color palet pastel camel game -- rather Through the Desert.

After a phenomenal game of wait -- what color is that-- wait thats a tree I need those points and you blocked me, Jon wandered off with Chris to play some baseball while Rob tried valiantly to get Tikal on the table.

(And I do appreciate it. Really I do. I will always play Tikal, always, and should people who don't know how to play wish to learn, I will be more than willing to corrupt the innocent. I might even be willing to learn to play war games or things of the like in return, corrupt the corrupter, or something.)

Brian, Travis, Sean and I ended up playing a lovely soothing game that reminded me of dominoes in a very vague fashion. I cannot remember the name of the game, but Sean and Brian were victorious over Travis and me. During this time Rob left with his copy if Tikal (it is a shame that you could not stay and play. next time, there shall be gaming.you should join and play Tikal on spielbyweb)

After a brief diversion/discussion into/on the world of epigenetics with Brian, Travis, Sean and I played Cartegena. After some hopping around Sean got tired of not winning and took the game, stranding two of my pirates and two of Travis's pirates on the prison, watching their comrades sail away with all the rum.

Chris and Jon finished their game during this, and while Chris left Jon watched the end of our game, and tired to foil Travis while he was playing to keep him from victory, but Sean had the game in hand and did not need the assistance.

And so at 9:30, we four brilliant players decided that playing and learning Inkognito would be a fantastic idea. Sean and I had a pretty good handle on the rules, but I will say that a game of logical deduction at the end of an evening of gaming and working is not the best idea. We got distracted several times by the Phantom of Prophecy, who's Identity and Attributes were much debated. Finally Jon ended the game, declaring that he and Sean were, correctly, the winners, and away we went, back home to sleep and rest until another fantastic Monday of gaming.

This was the first Monday that I got to stay the entire time, and it was fantastically enjoyable (and a much needed distraction from life) so I thank all of you who came to play games. It was fun. And will happen again.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent session report! I wish we'd been able to attend!

 
At 7:24 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Nice report!

Raab: Send an e-mail to the link at the top of the blog page to be officially added as a member (cue trumpets, banners, and flower pedals from on high).

 
At 8:15 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Ted said...

Watch out for those "flower pedals;" they kinda hurt.

 
At 9:29 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Inkognito was entertaining and most likely would have been over faster if I had not lead a disinformation campaign against myself by writing down incorrect information and than becoming very confused.

 
At 10:13 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Jeff said...

So Jon, you suck at Inkognito as much as you do at Mystery of the Abbey?

 
At 10:14 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger seanp said...

About halfway through the game of Inkognito we caught on to the "speed the turns along" approach. That helped a lot. It's not the perfect game, but was entertaining enough. The marbles in the flying nun of prophecy make it worth playing again - that's got to be one of the weirdest game components I've ever seen. I think "Carriage Ride to Hell" is more entertaining as a team deduction game, but Inkognito mixes Clue-like elements into the mix, and has Secret Missions!

The river tile game was won only because I got several river links to my end of the board before people started to realize how nasty you could be to your opponents...

While playing Cartegena, I had a pep talk with my pirate at the starting end of the tunnel, while all the other pirates were up near the boat... "I know what you're thinking, but it's not as bad as it looks. We haven't abandoned you, per se, it's more strategic..."

 
At 11:59 AM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I really think it was the pep talk that did it Sean.... boosting morale in your pirate right before he hit the bottles to jump ahead -- sneaky sneaky pirate.

 
At 2:36 PM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Stupid Rule 1.

One day I'll be able to go to mondays again.

 
At 6:35 PM, April 15, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

So btw.

If I set up a moderated 5er WW on BGG would some people from here be interested?

Chris and Jon sounded like possibilities the other day.

I know Brian has a burning hatred of WW, but 5er online is very different. Everyone has a unique role, you have much more of a chance to use real deduction instead of stuff like "oh man his face turned red when I asked if he was a werewolf".

Anyway. I really like 5ers and would like to get my feet wet moderating something simple in a format that I like.

And to get some of you guys playing with me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home