Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday Report

My day started with the blood, sweat, and adrenalin and ended with the cerebral maneuvering of wooden cubes.

Early this morning I started out running in an organized trail run at McCallister Park here in San Antonio. Ten miles running through the woods on dirt and rock trails, chasing down whoever was in front of me felt quite primal. Trail running can be pretty intense! I really pushed myself to the point where I found myself running with a bunch of shaved-headed guys who looked like Steve in berserker mode, so I knew I was doing something right. During the race four separate people I was chasing face planted right in front of me, and due to a minor spill I had just enough blood running down my leg to look suitably motivated. Yeah!

After a much enjoyed shower, I headed over to SABG's secure undisclosed location to join up with the gang for board gaming. I arrived just in time to catch the tail end of Stage 2, which Jacqui seemed to win easily.

Chris and I, sticking to the plan, then busted out Pillars of the Earth, which we've been talking about playing for months. We set it up and tried out the two-player version, which Chris won easily. I really enjoyed the game and found playing it to be a good time. I am admittedly quite terrible at games where a math-based resource optimization strategy will dominate, but I find if I just play to have fun and don't overthink things, I can have a great time at these types of games.

Next, Chris, Jacqui, and I played Thebes. I had played once before with Chris and Rob, and this time I enjoyed the game just as much. There is a ton of luck in this game, so I don't claim any great skill in having my own taste of winning easily. The theme of the game works so well, in my opinion, with the bag draw mechanic, and I really find the time continuum track quite interesting.

As far as other games played, it looked like a lot of Stratomatic Baseball and Race for the Galaxy were played.

Chris, as usual, totally outdid himself with his outstanding hospitality and generosity.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, March 16, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Dennis and I played the opening series of the season (in the Japanese section of Chris's house). There was a bunch of bad pitching, bad batting, bad glove work. However, I managed to string together more runs and chased both G1 and G2 starters before they got a 10th out.

Where I did get (much) luckier than Dennis was 1) He gave up 5 errors, including 2 two-base errors. 2) His constantly hit his park card, and it's not a pretty card. (I think I hit it once, perhaps). 3) The rare play.

With runners on 1st and 3rd and one out, his batter (I forget who) drove a deep shot to Matt "Not the MVP yet" Holliday (2 singles, 1 BB, 2 GIDP in 12 AB). The runner on 3rd tagged up and easily made it home, but Earl Weaver runs from the dugout and argues that he left early ... and the 3rd base ump agrees!

So I take the series 2-1.

 
At 9:52 AM, March 16, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Dennis is out of town, but I certainly enjoyed poring over the stats that he would occasionally send out last season. We had a discussion after Dennis left about plans for stats-keeping this season. Just curious if someone was going to keep a centralized set of stats again, just so we can prove that Willy Taveras is indeed the MVP.

 
At 11:40 AM, March 16, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

I spent a bit of time last night sheathing my Pacific Typhoon cards. This game looks pretty good. The theme may be a bit pasted on, its nice paste.

 
At 9:47 PM, March 16, 2008, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

Alas, I didn't make it out of town. It's a long story, which I have am tentatively calling either "Time to spare? Go by air!" or "American Airlines can kiss my ass." Anyway, another time.

Brian and I kept score and tabulated stats for our own teams. It looked like Scott and Jon were doing the same. Hopefully all seven of us can do that, and share our totals once in a while.

 
At 11:05 PM, March 16, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that sounds manageable. As much as I like stats, keeping stats for all players on ALL teams sounds like WORK. I'll keep mine and forward them whenever someone makes the call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home