Sunday, March 09, 2008

Apologetic Groveling

The best satire dances on a delicate line, moving close to offensive but always twirling away just in time. In my recent post about MN, I attempted satirical humor. Upon reflection, however, I have concluded that I stumbled over the line.

It's never true that everyone will like every game, especially a quirky one like MN. Even advocates of MN admit is has some significant flaws. No one owes anyone an explanation for why they don't want to play a game.

I apologize to the people I singled out and also to the whole SABG. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, embarrassed anyone, or otherwise hurt anyone's feelings. Our blog is a communal space, and the right to make a post is a trust. Hurtful posts have no place.

I have edited the original post to soften it. If anyone thinks it's still too harsh, drop me an email and I will make additional edits.

Enough unpleasantness.

Game on!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Simon said...

wat

 
At 4:08 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Ben said...

Now I want to go re-read the original post...

 
At 6:01 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

I have been absent from mny of the SABG functions this year mostly due to family. I have never played MN, but it looks great. But my experience with long games is that they need at least a litte planning. Speaking for myself, I have been known to plan a game of TI3 for 2 or more weeks. This is the same for other games I have recently played like EF and Europe Engulfed.

BTW, I saw the post you mentioned when it first hit the blog and I read nothing into it. Here's hoping to play MN sometime - with a little planning or course. And it should go without saying that I should plan a game of TI3 when I can convince my wife to visit her sister some Saturday and to take the kids with her.

 
At 7:00 PM, March 09, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

I didn't see it as anything beyond general grousing. Grousing doesn't require groveling, except in rule #1 situations.

 
At 9:20 AM, March 10, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

No need to apologize. I didn't notice anything wrong with original post.

Don't feel bad. Brian has been trying to get 7 Ages to the table for about 2 years now. Or at least it seems that way.

It's just really difficult to get more than two people together for longer games.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home