Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Insanity Update


A while back I posted that I am paining my BattleLore minis. Chris reminded me that it's time for an update. You can see some results here. Far left are the raw minis. Middle are primed in white. Right are the completed figures.

I've painted all the green units, both archers and infantry, and I've started on the blue infantry. That's 8 units of archers, 4 green infantry, and 3 blue infantry units done.

I seem to be gaining some speed and experience, and I sort of know what I'm doing now. I have most of the colors I need, though I may need to upgrade my brush selection .

A lot of folks, including the DoW site, suggest priming in black. The idea is that you can let a little black show in strategic spots to really make details pop. Also, the black can be used to simulate shadows.

I tried this approach, but I didn't like the results. The figures came out looking dark and heavy. When I switched to white primer, the figures came out brighter and more in keeping w/ my view of BL. If I were painting War of the Ring minis, black would be a great choice due to the darker theme. The whimsical world of BL, however, seems to call for happier minis.

I have been focusing on speed over quality for several reasons. First, these minis are part of an army. They aren't meant to be viewed individually at close range. They are meant to be viewed as a large group from a distance. Second, I want to play this game again, and the sooner the better. I need to get these buggers done! Finally, being a beginner, subtle shading and washes are a little out of reach for now. Maybe at the end of this I'll do an intricate job on the monsters.

Here is a close-up so that you can see some of the details. At this scale you can see some of the flaws on this figure, especially the sloppy line on the helmet. I also got a little lazy and didn't bother to paint the back of the shields.

My figures are way better than the raw minis, but they don't hold a candle to some stuff on BGG where the folks have shaded each and every figure. Maybe someday...

Anyway, I'm making progress, and I hope to be done in another few months.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, March 05, 2008, Blogger Chris said...

Wow, great pictures, Ted! I'm getting more motivated to paint some of mine and this just feeds into that. The idea of mounting and painting four at a time is a great one! I wouldn't have thought of that but it makes good sense.

Hopefully soon I'll start on some of mine and have pictures to post as well. Right now though, I really enjoyed reading about your efforts! Thanks for the update.

 
At 7:47 AM, March 06, 2008, Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the update, Ted.

Personally, I never primed plastic minis, and have had not problems, but the ones I've painted have been hard plastic. If I remember correctly, the BL minis are softer. I don't know if that makes a difference.

 
At 7:49 AM, March 06, 2008, Blogger Jeff said...

I've not had issues with unprimed plastic, but apparently I do have issues with words in order putting right.

Preview is your friend.

 
At 10:49 PM, March 06, 2008, Blogger Schifani said...

Great job, Ted. Have fun with it, and priming is a must IMO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home