SABBL 2nd Season Rules Things
Since we said we'd get the rules down before the draft... I figured I'd start a thread on hashing out points...some of these were discussed Saturday and/or Monday.
1) We're playing with a DH (as per Dennis).
2) We're playing with "mostly" super-advanced rules (need to clarify ... my interpretation is "Everything but super-stealing, which is only if both managers agree"). In particular, that means we're playing with the SA X-chances, the closer rule, park effects (& weather), clutch hitting, corners in, catcher blocking the plate, robbing home runs, outfield in, pickoffs, balks and wild pitches.
3) We're using the solitaire rules for resting position players. This implies a "no early game substitutions" rule. (So you can't "start" your terrible backup, then pull him for your great player who'd have to rest if that position came up on a check).
4) As per Sean's question ... you pick two teams, then take one from the stack and pass the stack.
5) Qualifying for the postseason (which I assume will just be a world series) requires you play a home and away 3-game series against each other manager. (That's 36 games, but we're playing over the season, so a bit more than two series a month).
6) Managers can trade freely. Don't collude. [I'd add in a note that trading teams should have played roughly equal number of games].
Points that I'm assuming but haven't been specified:
A) We're drawing seating position for passing separately (after the draft).
B) What are the minimums for a player to be draft eligible? 300 PAs (250 for catchers) is the "standard" for tournaments.
C) Ditto for pitchers and relievers. (125 IP for Starters, 40 IP for relievers). Also, what rest rules are we using? Are we sticking with a 4 pitcher rotation or 5-pitcher? Are we simply going with 2 games out of 3 for relievers? (The STAR tournaments use "3 games out of four AND no more than 4 IP in 4 consecutive games.")
D) Apart from sending game results to Dennis (and tracking pitcher usage), all book-keeping is optional. I don't know if I'll be keeping detailed stats, this time. It's time consuming.
E) Best W-L% of qualifying teams? Or Best Differential?
F) We said injuries were to be limited to a current series, but there should probably be some scaling ... ie, any 1-4 game injury becomes out for the game. 5-9 becomes miss next game (if in the same series) and 10+ becomes "miss next two (if in the same series)." [I want the chance for a key player to miss a series ... because that happens, but I do want it to be rare. If people want to just limit injuries to the current game, and let the rest rule take care of the other stuff, that's fine too.]
G) I'm assuming you have to draft at least 2 catchers, 4 (or 5) starting pitchers, one park, 3 relievers (you'd want more, no doubt) and have people to cover two positions.
We can use this comment thread to hash out what issues are open, and then discuss pre-draft.