Saturday, March 15, 2008

Remember the Alamo!

In honor of Fiesta (San Antonio's celebration of Texas' independence day) Jose and I played Blood of Noble Men, Worthington games version of the battle of the Alamo--companion to Victoria Cross. I played the Mexicans and Jose took the Texians. After being driven back from the Alamo's walls, I finally managed to scale the walls on the third assault and achieved a break through on the South wall--opposite of where W.B.Travis fell. Mexican forces quickly made their way to the chapel and long barracks where the last alamo defenders had retreated. A cannon blast directly into the chapel followed by a bloody bayonet charge spelled the end for the Texian defenders. I won a marginal victory as Jose managed to delay me for some time outside the Alamo walls.

What the game lacks in strategy it makes up for in theme. I can't help but think this would make a great minatures battles. It's a nice filler game as it plays in about an hour.

Jose got his revenge as we capped the night off with a game of Twilight Struggle-with optional rules. He played the USA and the victory point chart stayed uncomfortably close to even for most of the game. In the last few turns Jose took a decisive lead and on the last turn we didn;t even bother with final scoring as he was clearly the winner.

I enjoyed the games Jose, it was nice to get away from the office for a few hours.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, March 15, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

Mark, I am glad that you and Jose got a chance to play such games. Hopefully this reenergized your spirit from the recent work load. I was very domestic last night with a game of SOC with the family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home