Friday, October 05, 2007

Friday Session: Zombies and the Obscura Korps

Jon, Steve, and I had a rousing session of "Ameritrash" today at Dragon's Lair. Ah, its nice to finally have a day off work again.

We kicked off the day with a game of FFG's new Tannhauser, playing story mode. Jon took the peace loving Union forces, while Steve and I split responsibilities for the evil, twisted Obscura Korps. We muddled through the rules a bit at first, which seem to be organized in a way only the French mind could understand, but before long we were rocking along. Jon carried the day, barely, but I have to say I really enjoyed this game even more than I thought I would. The Hellboy-esque theme is very well implemented, and each of the characters had a diverse set of powers and equipment. I didn't find any of them to be unbalanced, though I think the game will shine further through one of the other three game modes.

We next played Last Night on Earth, with my assuming my typical evil overlord role as the Zombie player versus Jon and Steve as various townsfolk. We played the Defend the Manor scenario, which required the humans to hold the manor for 17 turns without losing four heroes. Well... they made it about half way, before they fell one after the other. In one particularly memorable scene, the Jon's high school quarterback ran outside to draw off the Zombies, only to get pounced upon by about seven of them who proceeded to rip him limb from limb. The little dog who tried to help the heroes didn't fare too well either. Steve almost managed to dynamite a huge pile of zombies, and at the end of the game, Jon's other character had a chainsaw and shotgun and was ready to be a one-man zombie shredder. However, it was too late as just then the zombies overran the manor. As many people are saying, this game does the whole zombie theme extremely well. Its always a bummer when evil wins over the heroes, but I'm already excited about playing again.

We next played two games of Epic Duels, with Jon (Darth) and Steve (Mace) each winning one. Alas, then Jon had to run, but Steve and I rounded out the day with a great game of Command and Colors: Ancients. We played the Battle of Magnesia (Romans vs. Selucids). Steve's Romans beat me so badly, I was searching for Milk of Magnesia by the end of the game. He's dangerous in this game.

Many thanks to both Jon and Steve for a terrifically fun day. This was a great way to start a great month of gaming!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, October 05, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

My intricate strategy of "roll well" paid off handsomely. Magnesia is an excellent scenario that mirrors accounts of the battle quite well. The Romans are well served by having a critical leader in the middle, and then my other leader managed to make it to the center in time to have an impact. The Seleucid leaders start on the wings, and without the right cards can get marooned.

 
At 9:21 PM, October 05, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I had superior cavalry, and I should have tried more to get them into the fight. Your legions cut through me like melted butter. Even the elephants didn't last long.

 
At 10:39 PM, October 05, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Excellent review. I was wondering when Ben would pick up the new Zombie game.

That's probably what I miss the most over here.... compulsive buyers like me (and Ben, Jon to some extent, and I think Chris is becoming one too). That way the expense would be shared.

 
At 10:39 PM, October 05, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

and by review, I mean session report.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home