Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Quick monday report (I was distracted by something)

The baseball regular season finished not. Two more games to play before the world series match-ups are determined. The good news is I can throw out my Padres scouting report.

Couple of plays of Smarty Party with some surprisingly hard categories and some surprisingly (even for Smarty Party) wrong answers.

Groo was coo enough.

Union Pacific was alright.

Acquire was fun as always. I thought I was doing ok considering my horrid start when I got majority and minority in the two final companies. Alas. I've never played with six before and it feels very different.

Ciniplex was too hard for me. I guess I'm not the movie buff that I once was (another victim of my blatant disregard of rule 1).

Ben and Steve seemed to really enjoy Ricochet Robots.

Thanks for letting me play Nuclear War not.

Now for a digression. It has come to my attention that some of you have been withholding information about critical hilarious blogs for up to six months. Is there anything else you aren't telling me???

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll go first:

Drew Bledsoe's blog: You should definitely start from the beginning of the archives here.

Fire Joe Morgan: Thanks for keeping this comedy gold to yourself Dennis and Chris

I was linked to this by Brian's blog a while back. That single post was one of the best things I've read, but in general I'm pretty disappointed with this one after that.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, October 02, 2007, Blogger seanp said...

The most glaring omission was for the category "Popular works from Hemingway or Edgar Allen Poe" - starting with Dennis, who wrongly guesses "The Raven". The Raven. Wrong. NOT on the list as a popular work of Edgar Allen Poe. To be clear, the list for Poe was:
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Tell-Tale Heart
The Masque of the Red Death
The Cask of Amontillado

OK, they are all "known" - but I doubt either of the last two are ever included in any literature anthologies. I think grabbing a 3-point chip for "the Raven" threw Dennis off for the next few questions, allowing me to squeak out a narrow victory despite grabbing 12 points in 2 turns at the end of the game!

 
At 12:42 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

Was the category short stories or something? Or is there some kind of link implied in this game? Hemingway never wrote poems, so far as I know, so that could put you in short-story land.

The omission of The Raven, along with some of his other well known poems, is pretty absurd w/o the additional limitation of short stories.

Especially putting Cask and Masque above The Raven.

 
At 12:47 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

The Raven's omission was glaring, but I think that the Cask of Amontillado belongs. It (was) fairly common on high-school reading lists, and is often referenced in pop-culture.

I think it was one of those numerous SP moments. Times ten.

 
At 7:25 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

No Murders in the Rue Morgue??? How can you not have my favorite homicidal ape?

Red Death and Amontillado are great stories, but still....

 
At 7:26 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Congrats to Steve on his masterful Nuclear War strategy.... feign ignorance and confusion, then hit me with 100 megatons.

 
At 8:22 PM, October 02, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

Actually I think Murders in the Rue Morgue was on the list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home