Thursday, September 20, 2007

Slow Week on the Blog



Hello, everyone. It seems we've had a slow week of blog posts, so I thought I'd just put up a short, rambling post.

Though my gaming has been slow lately, I did manage to get eliminated from the Flying Colors tournament last night, so at least that was something. I actually lost in a particularly amazing flourish of bad luck. My opponent and I were about even in damaged ships, but as your fleet gets damaged you have to check to see if your fleet breaks and runs. On a roll of 1-9 on a ten-sided die I would have been fine and had a good chance of winning the game, as two of my opponents ships were sinking. Unfortunately, I rolled a zero, instantly ending the game, with me losing. Insert colorful expression here. Oh well. You have to love wargames to make it past moments like these.

I'm now officially going to Essen. I'm not sure I can justify the excursion through any sort of cost vs. benefit analysis, but I'm still hopeful my two days there will be memorable. I'll try to grab as many interesting things I can that will fit into my luggage, so hopefully we'll have some interesting games to try out together when I get back. I'm hoping mostly to get the small, cool items like the new Power Grid deck, Zooloretto expansion, and maybe a Heroscape promotional figure. Heroscape: Swarm of the Marro is very cool, by the way.

I think the game I'm most looking forward to at the moment is Starcraft (see above video). I wonder if we sound this geeky when talking about our games. What game are you most looking forward to?

One last general question for this ramble: Heard any good podcasts lately? The ones I currently favor just aren't coming out fast enough, so I'm looking for some good recommendations, not necessarily board game related.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, September 21, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

A podcast that I've been enjoying A LOT lately is "NPR's Wait Wait, don't tell me". It's a hoot.

I'd like to hear more about Cuba, Neuroshima Hex, Amyitis. Oh and yes, Starcraft.

 
At 8:33 AM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Yes it has been a slow week on the Blog. I myself have been unusually busy with work and school (for the kids). I have been able to sell off some of my old games on eBay, so that was useful...recycle old games into new!

That is fantastic about you going to the convention. I have enought trouble breaking away to the BBG convention in Dallas. Have a safe and fun trip and I too look forward to hearing what you come back with.

 
At 10:39 AM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Carlos: Are you going to attend BGG.con this year?

 
At 3:07 PM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

BTW, that video is making want to do what I knew in the back of my mind I was going to do: buy Starcraft.... I'm already thinking of the possibilities in the obligate expansion to follow.

 
At 3:59 PM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

No, Ben, I did not mean to imply that I would be going to BBG; but only that it is difficult enough for me to go to that - let alone Europe. I really hope that your trip is fun and I look forward to hearing about it. Now to sell more games on eBay!

 
At 5:32 PM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I'll actually in France for work the week before Essen. It's tempting to head over, and time was I might have done it.

With Henry at home and having just done a bunch of travel, plus the scarcity of vacation time, I need to come home.

Essen, someday, maybe. For now I'll just be happy to get more time with games.

 
At 5:43 PM, September 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, I just took a look at Cuba on BGG. It looks reaally good. Of course, it's hard to tell what the gameplay is actually like, but the potential is tantalizing.

The components are, as you might say, "Impressive."

Can't wait to play. When are you coming back this way with time to game?

 
At 5:50 PM, September 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, I see where this is going. I'm trademarking the names "Dominica," "Haiti," "Antilles," and "Bahama(s)." If you're going to make a game with these titles (I'm looking at you, Rio Grande), don't even think about it.


Jamaica and Caribe seem to be already taken. Darn.

 
At 9:44 PM, September 22, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Oh man, Ted. It would be so cool if you'd stick around for the big shindig! The place I'm staying in is only 40 Euro's per night and actually looks pretty nice, though its a gang latrine.

Rob: I too am eyeballing the SC Battlechest. Cuba is quite pretty. I'm hoping to give it a shot at the Eggertspiele booth, plus tell them thank you for the replacement SD sandtimers they sent me.

 
At 9:44 PM, September 23, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

SC the baordgame Battlechest... sweet.

Chris, it looks like it'll be in October. Probably for 10/12-14. 10/13 we'll be celebrating my wife's Bday, but 10/12 or 10/13 during the day (if I don't moonlight) should be free for SABG....more details to come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home