Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Quick Thoughts

I have a few minutes to kill before my on-line War of the Ring tournament game continues this evening, so I thought I'd type out a quick blog post. In any event, I seem be getting smoked by my opponents who has 5 Shadow VPs, with the Fellowship still just past Lorien. Gondor is strong, but Lorien and all of Rohan are gone. Rivendell doesn't look too safe, so I think things are looking grim.

I find myself with a finger on the trigger regarding GMT's Asia Engulfed, but there's a voice inside me asking how many times I expect to play an 8-hour, 2-player block game. Still, the game looks fantastic and though the rules are a dense 24 pages, they look pretty manageable. Anyone getting this?

Tannhauser arrived today from FFG in a suitably heavy box complete with promotional figure. It looks to be a cross between Doom and Hellboy, with everything given a French artistic once-over, sort of like Dungeon Twister. I hope to try it out sometime soon, so I'll know whether to pick up an expansion figure or two at Essen.

Rob and I keep promising to play Lock 'n Load, but I'm taking forever to get through the rules. My problem is a lack of focus, as I'm playing in two on-line tournaments, reading Dune novels, training for a marathon, etc. Anyway, the newly announced scenario book makes me even more motivated to learn the game. The most recent Dice Tower episode had a nice rundown of LnL, so we're not the only ones with this fine game on our brains.

Hooray! I scored my second ever board game podcast shout-out, this time on Into the Gamescape, which is fast becoming my favorite board gaming podcast. These guys play the types of games our group seems to enjoy most, and the show is pretty entertaining.

Anyway... far too many rambles for one post, but there it is.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, September 12, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

AE:
I jumped the gun. I almost cancelled it, but I figured I needed a meaty pacific game. Someday....

Into the Gamescape:
Fun show. I like that they mix euro and wargaming... kinda like how I like to mix things up when it comes to my gaming.

LnL:
I'm not getting the scenario pack until I play the two expansions I already own. I say all we need to do is put a date on this....like homework. Oh, I'm not done reading either. Busy times at work.

 
At 10:06 PM, September 12, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

BTW, most impressive use of hyperlinks..... like Brian does.

 
At 10:07 PM, September 12, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I was consciously following Brian's example.

 
At 6:55 AM, September 13, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

The BGG entry for Tannhauser says it plays in an hour. If that's true (or even close to true) I'd love to give it a try.

 
At 7:42 AM, September 13, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Like Doom, there are several modes of play: mission, death match, etc., with varying durations.

 
At 12:02 PM, September 13, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

Another Quick Thought/Link:

You can now play On the Underground online.

Shiny.

 
At 6:25 PM, September 13, 2007, Blogger jbarreto said...

I have a copy of Asia Engulfed on order and expect it will arrive soon by snail mail. Europe Engulfed was a pleasant surprise and even though I normally dislike "buckets of dice" games, I thought the game captured the feel of WW2 in Europe fairly well.

 
At 10:16 PM, September 13, 2007, Blogger Chad said...

Very much up for Tanhauser.

 
At 4:10 PM, September 14, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I have soft spot for all things WWII in the Pacific, especially when they involve carriers. I am sorely tempted by Asia Engulfed, but I'm holding strong.

These days when I have an itch for the Pacific Theater, I pull out Fire in the Sky and stare at it longingly.

Actually, the area where my collection of wargames I'll never play is lacking is the Civil War. I really need(?) to own a Civil War I'll never play.

 
At 8:12 PM, September 14, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

I will happily play a game of EE anytime (well, with kids it may take a little planing on my part). I am very please with EE and I would really like to see AE.

Mark and I are finally starting to experiment with a good WWII game called Totaler Krieg! The rules are a bit goofy, but we are working on it.

 
At 9:11 PM, September 14, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

I did it.....

I pre-ordered AE....

Although I have not yet played a foll scenario of EE, the short test game that I played with my son was great. I think that EE is a fantastic WWII strategic game that is not too simplistic nor too complex.

As Brian did warn me, it is a bit heavy on the dice, but overall, it am happy. I sold my A3R and Empire of the Rising Sun to get these two games and I am glad I did. As soon as it arrives I will be glad to test fly it with any of you.

Bem, this is what happens when you put up such attractive photos on your posts...so quit it!

 
At 10:29 PM, September 14, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Carlos:
Excellent!

 
At 6:59 PM, September 17, 2007, Blogger jbarreto said...

Totaler Krieg is currently my favorite WW2 game. Rules are a bit confusing if you just read the rulebook but they make sense after your first game. The designers have a design for effect philosophy, which means the game mechanics are somewhat unorthodox, but the end result follows what you would expect of history.

The best part, in my opinion, are the option cards, which let you plan your strategy from turn 1. Want to do Sea Lion? Sure thing Mein Fuehrer! But for every neat thing you get in 39, there is a tradeoff, so our shiny Kriegsmarine means no jet fighters in 45.

Drop me an email (jbarreto@swbell.net) if you have a rules question or if you need a new player.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home