Friday, February 02, 2007

Napoleon in Europe

Napoleon in Europe is a game I have mixed feelings about. To me it is something of a heavy and somewhat clumsy Axis & Allies type, but during the Napoleonic Era. I am not too sure why the game was discontinued. I thought that it had quite a following. Has anyone in the group played? I thought it was a good game, but it did have some problems.

Pros:

There is a simple but effective political system in the game that keeps things interesting. Small countries that are bullied by the French have some interesting Political options to remain a thorn in Napoleon’s side.

The game is really quite simple and one can learn it after only a few turns.

There are several optional rules (called the Advanced Game) that can be used to customize the game for the players preferences.

Works just as well for two as multiple players. Some may say that fewer is better in this game.

The tactical battles are well done.

You can play either historical scenarios or A-historical ones. The grand campaign is available if you have the time.


Cons:

The game can take a long time if you let it. I am talking about two or three days of all day play.

The tactical battles can sometimes slow the game for those who are not participating.

There can be lots of down time if too many players are playing.

The miniatures can really get crowed on the huge board. They were really well made, but too big.

The naval rules could have been a little more exciting.


This is a cool game on a subject that I have always found interesting. While I personally like big epic games, this one may be just a little too big to be practical. I think my favorite Napoleon game is still Columbia’s “Napoleon”


Labels:

9 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Haven't heard of that one, but you may like to listen to this for other Napoleonic options. I haven't listented to it, but it looks cool.

 
At 12:17 AM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Mark said...

I never got the chance to play it but my old gaming group played it once...they said it was clunky but worth an occasional Saturday if everyone had a chance to study the rules in advance.

Word from Glenn at Eagle Games (before it imploded) was that it would not be reprinted without a substantial reworking of the rules.

 
At 8:59 AM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I've only played the Avalon Hill / Columbia Napoleon game one time with Rob and I versus the Frenchman Jon. Great fun! Short, simple, yet rich and satisfying. I thought the battle board mechanic added a lot to the game.

Nexus (makers of War of the Ring) has a huge Napoleon game coming out in 2007 as does Richard Borg with C&C Napoleonics. Plus, hopefully GMT's Napoleonic Wars will get a reprint this year, as its well over the P500 mark. The recent Point2Point podcast was well done.

 
At 1:25 PM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

I picked up Age of Napoleon by someone who recommended it as an interesting CDG. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, though.

 
At 6:38 PM, February 03, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I have not ever had the pleasure of playing any game based on Napoleon. I hope to fill in that gap someday, but this one doesn't seem like my cup of tea. Huge games are just too hard to schedule. Maybe when I retire.

I'm glad to hear there are a variety of Nappy games to pick from with more on the horizon.

I'm especially interested in the C&C version of Nap. Of course I love Columbia's games, and I've also heard some good things about Age of Nap, too. Too many choices is a great problem to have.

 
At 7:04 AM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Rick N said...

The best Napoleonic game I've played is one I picked up in the 70's called "La Battaile de la Moskva." It's Napoleon v. Kutuzov at Borodino: one massive campaign game and about 6 short scenarios. Great fun, if anyone's interested...

 
At 3:21 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

Bonaparte at Marengo, people!

 
At 4:00 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Simon, beat me to it.

 
At 9:29 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I really would like to play Marengo sometime.... also I have GMT's Wellington in my closet... one of my unplayed CDGs about Wellington's Penninsular campaign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home