Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Super Bowl Preview, Pizza Box Style


Jon was kind enough to join me for a Super Bowl Preplay last night, so that I could send results to pizzaboxfootball.com. Jon took the Colts while I had my high-school favorite Chicago Bears. Alas that I didn't have the actual Bears from my teenage years in the 80's.
In the first half, Peyton Manning (of the Colts -- see picture) moved the ball effortlessly down the field, but struggled in the red zone. In five trips deep into Chicago territory, the Colts managed only 1 TD, 2 FG, and two interceptions. But Rex Grossman redefined inept, going 3-10 for 75 yards and a pick. Only two big plays (a 57-yard 1st-down bomb from Grossman after a pick, and a 54-yard run by Cedric Benson) kept the game close, with the Colts leading 13-6 at halftime.
Grossman finally started connecting with Bernard Berrian in the second half, and two big scoring plays (35-yard run by Thomas Jones, 54-yard catch by Berrian) put the Bears up 20-19 midway through the third. But that was the closest they would come to the Vince Lombardi trophy. Manning put his team on his back, calling 14 passes and only 4 runs down the stretch, and cruising into the end zone twice for the 33-20 win. On their last two possessions, the Bears managed only 4 yards of offense, while the Colts ran down the clock by *passing*, completing nine out of ten throws with only one rushing attempt. Manning won the MVP with cartoonish passing numbers (see below).
Scoring:
Bears 3-3-7-7 --- 20
Colts 7-6-3-17 --- 33
Rushing: Bears 21-134, 1TD, 0 fumble. Colts 20-122, 1 TD, 0 fumble.
Passing: Grossman (Bears) 8-20, 202 yards, 1TD, 1 INT, 2 sacks. Manning (Colts) 34-51, 509 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 2 sacks.
This matchup brought out all that I like and dislike about Pizza Box Football. It resolves quickly (just over two hours, with us dilly-dallying and having fun with it), makes some reasonable statistical sense, gives interesting play-calling decisions, and managed to stay close and exciting until the fourth quarter. The Mishap and Pressure tables are particularly fun; Grossman's pick was off of a tipped pass, and Manning is tough to pressure, twice rolling out of the collapsing pocket for completions. But it does have two flaws, I think:
1. Offense rules over defense. Offense quality is taken into account by modifying the results table that you roll on for each play. Defense quality is included by allowing an extra die on the defensive chart *when the defense guesses the play correctly*. So everytime Manning throws a short or long pass, he is benefitting from his superior table. But the Bears only get their defensive strength when they guess correctly (technically a 1 in 3 shot), and then the extra die only helps some of the time (about 1 in 2), and then it still may not be enough to bump you to the next level on the chart. So quality offenses benefit 100% of the time, while quality defenses benefit ~10% of the time. Jon was right to kill the clock by throwing; even when I guessed correctly, Manning had a better than 50% shot at a completion.
2. Big plays (usually a 16-18 on three dice) are too common. A real NFL team can count on a handful of 40+ yard plays in an entire season. There were six just in this game, along with a couple more where the end zone got in the way.
How would I fix it:
1. Change the results table to 4d6. This narrows the bell curve, making extreme events less common.
2. Change the defensive results table to a straight +/- modifier, not another die roll, which speeds resolution. And make the adjustment count more. A long pass should have a completion chance in the low 30s% against a base defense (once per three downs). If the defense is completely out of place, that should boost to ~50% (QBs can still be inaccurate). If the defense is focusing deep, the chance should be closer to 10% (catches are occasionally made in triple coverage).
I still haven't worked out how best to fix defenses, but I'm working on it.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

Give me back my carraige returns!

 
At 8:59 AM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

*cough* Go Colts *cough*

 
At 10:04 AM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

If Manning throws for 500 yards on Sunday, I'll buy you a Coke.

 
At 10:16 AM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

"plus a couple where the end zone got in the way"

That's funny.

Nice report, Dennis.

 
At 1:05 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

One time, Peyton Manning nearly ran me over with his SUV.

 
At 4:41 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

Dennis: "If Manning throws for 500 yards on Sunday, I'll buy you a Coke."

Well, that's a pretty low risk, wimpy bet all the way around. Why don't we raise the stakes and lower the qualifier? I have a $15 Boulder Games coupon I'd be willing to place into the pot. What do you have for the Bears?

I had to suffer through the heart-wrenching, hopes-dashing Harbaugh years as a Colts fan. It's our time now, baby!

 
At 9:32 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

My copy of Pizza Box Football is for sale (cheap) if anyone is interested. I enjoy the game, but demands for shelf space have placed it on the cut list.

 
At 9:34 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

BTW, I've been warned twice this week here in snowy Baltimore never to wear any form of Colts clothing if it doesn't say "Unidas" on the back. Apparently they're still not over it all.

 
At 9:47 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

Simon -- How about my three Battleground: Fantasy Warfare decks? You were interested in those, right?

 
At 9:48 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

By the way, I don't remember Harbaugh being all that bad. I reserve my hate for Neal "Never Break the First Tackle" Anderson.

 
At 10:35 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

Dennis: I had to play with the formating for a while to get the carriage returns last time. Try removing all formatting via the eraser tool in the upper right.

 
At 10:39 PM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

It wasn't that Harbaugh was bad. In fact, it was more that he was pretty good as was our team and we could still never make it out of the conference championship which felt all the more heart breaking (just like our other professional sports team during those years...the Pacers).

I'm not big on Fantasy Warfare, but I will accept your offer since hey, free games! :)

 
At 12:27 AM, January 31, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

BTW, the lowered qualifier that I somehow didn't mention, although it was somewhat implied, was simply "the Colts win." -Kind of important. You may adjust your wager if you'd like.

 
At 8:12 AM, January 31, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

I understood, and I'm OK with it, for three reasons: (a) the Bears will win, (b) the underdog has ravaged Vegas this year, and (c) I've gotten my use out of those games, so in my mind I'm freerolling that coupon.

 
At 5:30 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Al said...

I'd like to know the point spread that Pizzaboxfootball.com predicts before the game. I went by their web site but they hadn't posted them yet, or else you have to be a registered member.

Al

 
At 6:06 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger Dennis Ugolini said...

The designer mentioned on BGG yesterday that the current average was Indy by 6, with the Colts winning 2/3 of the games. Remarkably close to the Vegas line (Colts -7).

 
At 9:21 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

Mmm...smells like free games. I'll be by on Monday to pick them up (and Space Dealer if you read this Ben).

My thoughts: sucky ads, one crappy Phil Simms broadcasting performance as always, a lousy first quarter, BUT an A-OK ending.

 
At 9:31 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Wow, now that's a buried thread. I'll swing by after class with Space Dealer! I think I still have your Blue Moon City tiles around here somewhere.... Dice Tower still needs staining... Need to finish (!) it this week.

Rob, your tower is done. You going to be there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home