Saturday, January 27, 2007

War of the Ring - Ben vs Carlos




Becoming increasingly frustrated with the Humans and Dwarves and their indecisiveness in taking action, the Elves of Middle Earth take action into their own hands and preemptively declare war on the Shadow Forces. Even as the orcs were being indoctrinated into the ways of peaceful meditation and other spiritual techniques that would have eventually reunited them with their Elvin brethren, Rivendell ordered its armies to march on a defenseless Moria. And deep within his lonely cave...Balrog wept.

Meanwhile, the Nazgul of Sauron (did I mention that Nazgul is a Mordor phrase meaning “We sacrifice our lives so that those who hate us will know peace”?) desperately searched for the misguided Hobbits who had stolen the One Ring. Deeply concerned that the benevolent power of the ring would be misunderstood and misused, the Nazgul searched for them. Luckily, as then Hobbits first left Rivendell, the influence of the Nazgul hit them hard; convicting their conscience that they should return the ring to its rightful owner and help all Middle Earth see a new ear of peace and fellowship amongst all races and people…but this was not to be.

Although, the Nazgul called out to the impressionable Hobbits, their companions whispered dark and untrue secrets into their ears and urged them away from those who sought to help them. They were led by the one called…Ben.

As the Hobbits fled, the Elves mercilessly sacked Moria. Unholy celebrations of victory erupted in the cities and settlements of the so-called “Free Peoples” as this no doubt fed their lust for more blood and conquests. Alas, Sauron had no choice but to call his people and their allies to war and to march west to protect the just people of Isengard from suffering a similar fate as Moria. In an unprecedented mobilization of men, beasts, and armaments, the new hoard march westward. It was imperative that the isolated peoples of Isengard be liberated.

Standing firmly between the hoard and Isengard were the stubborn peoples of Gondore and Rohan. They made it clear that Isengard and its new leader Saruman were to be sacrificed in the name of some new and horrible new order of terrible tree-people - Obviously the result of a hideous genetic experiment of an insane Dr. Ben. Isengard would never see the liberation of the peoples from the east.

As Isengard was mercilessly crushed, the shadow armies overran most of Gondor. Minas Tirith saw a huge siege, but with the aid of magic, superb siege engineering, and magnificent leadership, it was taken. Westward the hoard marched to capture the last stronghold of Gondor – Victory seemed in easy grasp. However a pesky and embittered king (I think he called himself Aragorn, or something like that) managed to sneak into the besieged Dol Amroth, just as a peace deal was about to be concluded between the combatants there.

But to no avail. Ben somehow managed a military victory over the shadow forces. With the loss of two strongholds, the valiant orcs and peoples united under the benevolent eye or Sauron lost their will to liberate and returned home. As his great and all seeing eye shed it’s last great tear, Sauron vanished into the void…

This is an awesome game. Ben was a great host and I look forward to another game.

10 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, January 27, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Excellent session report, Carlos! You beat me to writing it, and did a much better job than I would have. Here's my thoughts on War of the Ring with the expansion set:

1. A Free People's Military Victory (by Ben, even!) - Yep, the game has been rebalanced. I pushed the elves all the way to war before even Sauron or Isengard went to war. Something about the need to look for WMDs in Mordor... anyway, the Fellowship was getting pummeled right outside the back door of Rivendell, so I figured I'd get them through Moria the hard way - by taking it. The elf warband then marched north to take Angmar as well.

2. Galadriel - She's niiice... getting the extra FP die on turn 2 really helped keep my offensive cooking. The White Lady held down Lothlorien while the elf army went on out to play goblin skull lacrosse.

3. Siege Engines - These primarily serve to make the FP strongholds tougher nuts to crack. Minas Tirith held about a turn longer than it otherwise would have, which felt pretty precious at the time.

4. Smeagol - Speaking of precious, the good version of Gollum pretty much saved me from an early corruption defeat. We found him sneaking around in the lembas bread bag and convinced him it would be in his best interest to guide us for a while. He lasted about 1.5 turns before taking it in the loincloth for us, but he saved about 3-5 corruption. Boromir and Gimli were much appreciative, as they were going to be on point right about then.

5. The Ents - The Ents are a serious pain in the neck for Saruman, even more so than before. I was able to combo chain two Ent cards together, launching back-to-back assaults on Orthanc, pretty much killing the White Hand army. By the time Gandalf rode down with a mixed horde of Rohan and Lorien elves, Saruman was already in need of a fresh set of magical undies.

6. Corsairs and Dunlendings - Carlos didn't bring either of these guys out, so we didn't get to seem how they played. I think they're a pretty minor impact, but might have some situation-specific utility.

Overally impressions - If I hadn't pulled off a military win, I would have been toast. The Fellowship was only two steps past Lorien and already had 5 corruption and only about a quarter of the party left. I had spiked the bag with blue chits a couple times, but I don't think I could have survived Moria. Carlos did a great job dogging the fellowship with Nazgul the whole way. I think I only evaded a single hunt the entire game. I need to take a good look at how I manage the Fellowship...

I like the expansion. It adds a bunch of strategic options with only a minor increase in complexity. Now that I've played it, I can't imagine going back to the basic game.

Who's next?

 
At 10:33 AM, January 28, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

Sadly I'll be out of town this monday. Happily it will be Vegas. Sadly it will be work. Happily I'll be done early. Sadly I'm not staying on the strip. Happily, they have cabs.

Perhaps soon...I have to re-read the expansion rules.

 
At 5:11 PM, January 28, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

Carlos: great write-up. Cool to get the propaganda from Sauron.

Sounds like a great game, and I want to play...but not right now. I'm focusing on getting more plays of games I already know the rules for. I'm focusing on BattleLore, Hammer, and War of 1812 right now.

 
At 6:20 PM, January 28, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Expansion rules take only 10-15 minutes to explain. Now that I've played with them, they seem neatly blended into the game.

 
At 8:14 PM, January 28, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

It is great playing the same games repeatedly for a change... now that I've played WotR two weeks in a row, the rules are becoming second nature, and I'm seeing the deeper patterns in the game.

 
At 11:09 PM, January 28, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Ted, who said anything about propaganda??? Anyway, I'm glad you liked the write-up. I have yet to try Battle Lore, but I need to see if all the praise about it is really true.

But a quick and deep question: Do evil people know that they are evil? Perhaps they really believe that they are good. Please don't try to answer. This post could go one for weeks!

 
At 8:56 AM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Another excellent session report.

Nice job, Carlos!

It looks like I could host a WotR session this Saturday morning, which would be good since it looks like I'm missing both the Monday and Friday sessions this week. Carlos and I had tenatively scheduled a game, but if someone else were interested, you could likely convince Amy to play.

 
At 6:51 PM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

How cool, a three or four player game of WotR! Would this be a first for our group? Jeff, I am still looking forward to a game with you, but I will have to see what "The Boss" may have in store for me this Saturday. Thank goodness that is not an all day game.

I think the key to playing this game well is an understanding of the characters, their abilities, and when to use them. Aside from that, the game is really quite simple. I do not own the expansion, however.

 
At 9:31 PM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'm up for playing Saturday morning and/or afternoon, even as early as 8:00 AM for you early birds. The only restriction I have on me is that I'd have to host, as I need to be within walking distance of my house/construction projecct.

 
At 10:20 AM, January 30, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Carlos: I was thinking of two games in parallel instead of a four-player game. We could do that at my place, but it may not be feasible if we play in Ben's Dog House.

Ben: Let me check with Amy regarding start time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home