Wednesday, January 24, 2007

In Further Praise of Valley Games

I just received my upgraded, wooden dice for Command and Colors: Ancients yesterday from Valley Games. I cannot overstate how much of an upgrade these finely crafted dice actually are. The picture above, borrowed from the Valley Games website, just doesn't do the dice justice. The paint used has a metallic finish to it, giving the swords and helmets just the right amount of gleam. The dice are a bit smaller than the horrid, plastic garbage dice provided by GMT, making them much more dice tower friendly. In addition, the feel of wooden dice in your hand seems much more appropriate to the theme of the game than the cold, slick, black plastic dice that come with the game. Perhaps as you play you can picture some ancient Greek craftsman carving these little cubes as the hoplites marched out the gates of the city-state...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Schifani said...

Those look great. CnC:A is currently on my gaming table, complete with clunky dice.

One of the things I like best about CnC:A is the inclusion of the leaders/generals as a critical part of the game.

I hope great personalities become an on-board part of Battlelore down the road.

 
At 3:44 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I totally agree with Leaders being a must-add to BattleLore and remarked on this the first time I played. BattleLore is actually so close to a lighter version of Ancients (with a little magical flavoring) that adding leaders shouldn't break anything in the existing BL rules.

 
At 10:17 PM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Rick N said...

I keep hearing so much buzz about BattleLore and I've yet to play CnC:A. Guys, if you're looking for another player, I'd love to try either one on a Monday or some other scheduled time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home