Sunday, January 21, 2007

War of the Ring

Jeff and I enjoyed a wonderful afternoon playing War of the Ring yesterday. Although we played with the non-expanded version of the game, our session still featured enough high drama, epic battles, and daring escapes to make it a very memorable experience. As neither of us had played recently we spent a wee bit of time looking up rule details as we played, so the game clocked in at just under 4 hours. The time did fly by though, and only my grumbling stomach eventually forced me to consult my timepiece.

Highlights of the game:
  • The Army of the Dead came to the rescue. Minas Tirith and most of Gondor fell for the first time very early in the game due to a well executed invasion by the Dark forces. Just a few poorly equiped and demoralized conscripts huddled on the shore of Dunkirk... I mean Dol Amroth, praying for rescue. The evil legions marched forward for the final stroke to knock Gondor out of the war. Then, out of nowhere Aragorn and a horde of undead soldiers from the past came hurtling in from the sea, totally destroying the Army of the Shadow and slaying two Nazgul! Minas Tirith was soon retaken along with all of Gondor, and Isildur's Heir was crowned.
  • Both Minas Tirith and Helms Deep changed hands multiple times in very bloody sieges. Finally Gondor was bled down to a few peasants with pitchforks and Isuldur's Heir received his ultimate spanking. Helm's Deep, once recaptured, started doing its best Bastogne impression and never fell again.
  • The game ultimately came down to a final draw out of the Hunt Bag. A happy tile meant goodness and light would prevail; a bad tile would mean fresh hobbit stew for the boyz. Everyone held their breath as the Dark Lord reached his twisted black claw into the Sack of Doom, only to pull out a tile that was only mildly bad... resulting in an almost totally corrupt, but still functional hobbit hero doing his duty.
What a great game! Many thanks to Jeff for hosting the session at his ultimate gaming pad. I sincerely look forward to playing again, and hopefully trying out the expanded version sometime soon!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, January 21, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I've never gottent to play yet, but one of the most attractive things about this game is that it generates a really compelling story.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

 
At 2:13 PM, January 21, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Oh, how I wish I'd have know about this game as I just got it a couple of weeks ago. Are either of you up for a rematch? We can use my house. Let me know.

 
At 2:59 PM, January 21, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

War of the Ring is a game I could probably play once a week and not get sick of... at least for the conceivable future. I'm pretty busy right now with various life demands, but I'll let you know if I get a free afternoon lined up.

 
At 5:29 PM, January 21, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

I'd be up for some more games of this, either with expansions or w/o. If you are playing just the base game, I do recommend the Will of the West variant. It balances things out a bit and makes the shadow really ponder the Witch King.

I'll probably start tossing this into the bag at some point...

 
At 11:56 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Nice report Ben!

Carlos - I'm up for a game if I can find the time. This weekend is probably out, but the following one might work. Are your Monday nights still busy?

 
At 12:45 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'm open this Saturday for gaming, though I would need to be the host due to needing to be within LOS/LOF of various types of workmen. The Dog House isn't being worked on though, so gaming should be peaceful.

 
At 7:32 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:24 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Jeff, unfortunatly my Mondays will usually be busy until the summer. Weekends are usually my best time to play. I am usually open for most anything, but War of the Ring has been on my mind as of late.

I was able to pop in at DL for a few minutes today. It was good so see a game in progress.

Ben's offer to host at his place is kind, but I would hate to intrude during the work. My house is always open, but with the kids I like to host when they are at my sister-in-laws.

But Ben, if you are really able, then count me in! And Jeff, the following week (as you suggested) may a;so work for me. We'll keep our eye on it.

 
At 8:07 AM, January 23, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

Hmm...I might be able to free up some time one of those weekends...

It might be amusing if we could have two simultaneous games. Alternate parallel universes, if you will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home