Monday, January 15, 2007

Scratching the Itch



It’s been about a year and a half since I’ve played any Dungeons and Dragons, and that’s too long. I don’t want to start a full campaign, just a single adventure that can be finished in session or two. Back in Knoxville, we called this a One-Shot. You don’t have to have any previous experience. There won’t be any hard-core roleplaying. (Think Descent with some Choose Your Own Adventure between the fights.) I’ll have all the characters prepped and I’ll write up “Playing DnD – Instructions for Board Gamers” for those of you who are newbies or have only played Second Edition (or First Edition). It won’t happen until sometime in late February/early March. It’ll take time to get things together and I’m not going to spend that time until I know people want to play. Amy has already claimed one of the six slots. Post in the comments if you’re interested in claiming one of the other five.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

I'd be in for it. My olden RPG days were of the Palladium/Rifts variety, so I'll need some teaching.

 
At 5:50 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Interesting.... Some dabbling in RIFTS and AD&D 2nd ed back in 1990-1992. If time and place works, I'd love to. Would need some updating to 3.5 rules.

 
At 6:11 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I'm trying to focus my limited gaming time on various wargames right now, so I'll have to pass.

Speaking of quikie RPGs, I think I still have a copy of Toon around here someplace. It's designed to let you role-play a cartoon like Bugs Bunny or the RoadRunner and Coyote. Never actually played, but theoretically it's fast and very silly.

Haven't seen the book since we got to San Antonio, though...

 
At 6:35 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'm not much of an RPGer, but I do go back all the way to D&D first edition (the little white box), when you could only choose between fighter, magic user, cleric, or thief. Old school, baby! Great fun, but most of our role playing really was along the same lines as Descent. The story was usually just a thinly veiled pretext for a big bloody afternoon of combat.

I think playing would be fun, but I hesitate to commit because of time restrictions. Please consider me a reserve player.

 
At 6:41 PM, January 15, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

Jacqui is interested. I could be, but given child situation it would probably be either/or.

I picked up Arcana Evolved, a "variant" D&D a while back, and I've been interested in trying it (either from an RPG or more doom-ie). It's done some interesting thing with the D&D Rules ... among other thing, fighters get "Combat Rites" which act like spells.

 
At 9:51 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Jacqui said...

I'm interested. When would it be? I haven't done a role playing game in over a decade.

 
At 10:21 AM, January 16, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Looks like we have plenty of takers. Sweet.

I'll get the ball rolling. I can probably have it ready by the middle of next month. Watch this space for updates.

 
At 2:32 PM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I am also interested. I have never done anything with AD&D, I always played GURPS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home