Friday, January 12, 2007

Risk: Star Wars the Original Trilogy Edition


Darth Vader: Risk: Star Wars the Original Trilogy Edition is here.
Governor Tarkin: Risk? What makes you think so?
Darth Vader: A tremor in the Force. The last time I felt it was in the presence of my old battered copy of the game.
Governor Tarkin: Surely Risk must be dead by now.
Darth Vader: Don't underestimate the Force (or Hasbro).

At long last the original trilogy version of Risk has been released. Perhaps the fanfare for this game was totally off my radar screen, but although I've been eagerly anticipating the game, I didn't realize until today it had been released in mid-December.

Though I'm still waiting for the box to arrive at my front door, I find myself already feeling a sentimental attachment to the game. One of my fondest memories is as a young boy going to see the original release of Star Wars with my Dad. I also have great memories of playing heavily contested games of risk with my family and high school pals that took the entire night to play out. Considering the original trilogy was completed so many years ago, its actually suprising a Risk version based on the movies hasn't been released until now.

In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I must admit I do have a weak spot for low-brow American-style, fist-full-of-dice-chucking games with lots of theme, miniatures, and color board, cards, and bits. To me this type of game is just good, relaxing, escapist fun! The Risk series of games in particular has always been a favorite of mine, with Risk 2210 and Lord of the Rings Trilogy Risk being particular favorites. With the possible exception of Heroscape, I think there is no better mass market game out there, especially if you're wanting some form of combat related theme to the game. The recent Hasbro releases of Monsters Menace America and Nexus Ops I found to be both great fun.

Anyway, though I know this type of game may not be to everyone's liking, I thought I'd share some of my excitement for it on our blog!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, January 12, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

Here's hoping it'll be better than the Clone Wars version.

I expect it will be.

I mean, it'd have to be...

 
At 5:50 PM, January 12, 2007, Blogger Brian said...

It could be exactly the same.

I'll be here all week. Enjoy the veal.

 
At 7:20 PM, January 12, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

You know, I like Monsters Menace America A LOT even though I really, really shouldn't.

Dice and miniatures are just too fun sometimes.

*looks over shoulder at massive Heroscape stash balanced precariously in closet*

 
At 7:39 PM, January 12, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Initial reviews on BGG are quite favorable, with most saying its a major improvement over Clone Wars.

Simon, if you're ever in the mood for a massive Heroscape game I hope you'll let me know.

 
At 10:05 PM, January 12, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

The only RISK! variant I ever tried was LoR RISK!. I enjoyed it, but I only played once. If this new version is as fast moving as traditinal RISK, it would be great for DL. I would be interested in giving it a shot. Simon, I would also like a good game of Heroscape.

 
At 9:43 AM, January 13, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I've never played any of the Risk variants, and I only played a few games of actual Risk.

I remember discovering Risk in the mid 80s when I was about 10-12. I thought it was the best thing I had ever found, and at the time it probably was.

Within a year or two, however, I found A&A, and I rarely ever looked back.

I'd play, but it wouldn't be high on my list. The other competitive games are so good it's hard to justify a game like Risk. For example, Struggle of Empires. Granted it's more complex, but the rewards are enormous and well worth it.

 
At 9:55 AM, January 13, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

To me the Risk series of games are a great blend of being accessible enough for the non-hardcore gaming crowd (i.e., 99% of the world's population) while still being interesting enough to satisfy those with higher levels of hardcore game geekiness... sort of like how La Madeleine is French cooking for the masses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home