Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wizard Kings, v2.0


Nooooo! Say it ain't so, Joe!
Columbia, purveyor of fine block games, has announced they will start shipping a new version of their game Wizard Kings starting in Feb. I knew it was coming, but based on how slow they develop their other games I assumed it would take until Fall.
Wizard Kings is one of the favorite games. It was among my first block games, and it combines both high level strategic decisions (build your army; heal your troops) together with medium and small scale decisions (how to handle the maps; how to deal with individual battles). All of this is delivered in a package that plays in about 1.5-2 hrs and has a fantasy theme.
Good times!
Problem is, I'm still digesting the huge slug of new games from Christmas, first and foremost being the dynamic duo of BattleLore and CC:E. I don't know if I want to add another one to further dilute my limited play time.
Arggh!

4 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

What's Cool:
If you preorder they throw in a block with your name and a custom image. Oh and the box art doesn't suck as bad now.

What's Not Cool:
Planned blind booster releases?! Blech. No thanks. Looks like I might just snag all those clearance first edition armies instead...

 
At 9:36 AM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

SIMON....a big DITTO from me on both points.

Plus, I'd like to know what the new stuff really is. It says 4 new maps, and the hero/treasures block set (which is collectible)... cool, but what else? A scenario book? Probably the one they put out in PDF format not too long ago. Oh, and ALL compatible with first edition set which I own ($140 worth), and I barely play. So I'll hold back for now.

 
At 3:08 PM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Blind booster for a block wargame??? Well, Stratego Legends tried this and failed terribly, and I think the potential market was substantially bigger.

Ted, I'm interested in learning/playing sometime though.

 
At 10:10 PM, January 17, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

Hey Ben, let me know when...

*intercepted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home