Sunday, January 28, 2007

The seas were angry, my friend...

Today I was finally inspired to put on enough stickers to play a scenario from the Commands and Colors: Ancients expansion. I let my 10 year old daughter pick the scenario, which was the battle of Crocus Plain. It was one of the early sluggos where Alexander's father, Philip/Val Kilmer/Doc Holliday, showed the Greek alliance who was boss.

Despite losing 6-5, and subsequently sending her to her room without supper, I am very, very happy with this expansion.

Oh, and the title refers to my army fighting with the sea at its back...Phocian leaders can't retreat off the board in this one, so perhaps we'll find my general at low tide.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Ted said...

I've heard that one good way to get game opponents is to grow your own. It's a little slow, though...

C&C:A sounds cool. I hear a lot of great things about it.

 
At 8:26 AM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Nice write-up and good to see the game reflect historical results. Apparently the captured Phocian leader was crucified by Phillip after the battle and his surviving troops ritually drowned, as they had sacked the Temple of Apollo to pay for their mercenaries.

Ted, playing C&C: Ancients really wouldn't violate your policy of restricting yourself to a few game systems. Its pretty similar to BattleLore, just with additional troop types and leaders.

The stickers and huge pile of wooden blocks in the expansion are daunting...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home