Friday, February 02, 2007

Twilight Imperium 3: Major FAQ Changes

Fantasy Flight Games has issued a new Version 2.0 of its FAQ for Twilight Imperium 3 and its expansion set, Shattered Empire. In addition to stopping up a few pinholes in the rules, FFG has reversed some pretty major past FAQ rulings.

For instance, in the past one of my favorite, officially legal techniques was on Turn 2 to declare a transfer action between my homewold and the adjacent system I had colonized on Turn 1. Under the previous FAQ ruling I could build troops and ships at the homeworld shipyard and construct a new shipyard in the newly colonized adjacent system, all using a single action. This was a great way to supercharge your initial expansion, and new players not aware of how it worked were at a disadvantage. This technique has now officially been disallowed. Now if using a transfer action you're only allowed to build in one of the two systems, period.

There are a few other rule changes, like transfering fighters between carriers in the midst of movement now being legal (which seems a bit weird), so fans of the game would be well served to review the new FAQ and ponder its impact on their strategies.

Anyone else have thoughts on the rule changes?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Ben, I think that exact thing that you mentioned was what prevented me from emerging as the winner in our last game...NOT!

This is cool. I'll have to read it and get back...

 
At 6:49 PM, February 02, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

BTW, do I sense a game of "The Beast" on the horizon? Perhaps in a month or so. I'm still recovering from the last one. Yes this is a beast, but a good beast. But not a tame beast.

 
At 9:46 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'm certain we can muster another game. I'm a bit too busy right now to sound the rallying cry, but in another month I should be ready as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home