Monday, February 05, 2007

Monday Night Gaming


So, I arrived at Dragon's Lair at my typical time ... only to see naught but tumbleweeds. What gives? Where are the vibrant crowds from a mere six weeks ago? Gone with the holidays, I suppose. After polishing off a chapter of my book (The Nutmeg of Consolation), Michael showed up. Thus began the epic 2-player battle.

First off, I took the light side in LOTR: The Confrontation (yes, that's the wrong picture. But it has hobbits). There were several close moments where I basically choose my combat card randomly, but I got Frodo past the mountains and advanced him into a position where he could advance to Mordor with a bit of luck. Sam stayed back to guard the shire, everyone else having died. Luck was with me.

Next up, two games ofRoma. The first battle had me jump up to a large VP lead (Forum + Temple), but Michael managed to get his own VP engine, and snuck out a win by breaking the bank. (Odds are I would have won on my next turn). The 2nd game was a more typical "Pound 'em down". I got smacked early, and eventually spiraled down. So both games were 1-2 point difference, but 20-19 plays completely differently than 2-0.

By this time Simon had appeared, waiting for Ben. He had Ruse & Bruise, so we played. No review yet; I'm cautiously optimistic. Simple basic idea, but lots of fiddly chrome. He had to go back to class, so that was that. Back to 2 player games.

Jambo,
Rudiger Dorn's elegant little game took up our time and we wandered the African Plains, buying and selling. Ben showed up, looking for Simon. But then he left. Close games again, but I took a pair of victories this time.

So we set up San Juan, and got in a game. By this time Al had arrived, so our second game of San Juan was three players. After the 2nd game Jon appeared,
so we set up Imperial. This was Al's first time; and the third for the rest of us. I think I've reviewed this elsewhere, but each player invests in countries, with the biggest investor running the government (during World War I). A few countries changed hands quickly, but Russia rolled over the rest of Europe. In fact, Russia ended the game with no other country past the 2x multiplier (Russia's bonds were worth 5x). Jon and Michael were close, but Michael pulled out the win (83 to 80, I think). Al and I were way behind, having each lost an early country just prior to taxation, and being too heavily invested in the Italy, who lagged the rest of the countries (Austria-Hungary also didn't fair well). I want to play Imperial a few more times, but I'm getting a bit worried about it. The endgame seems to be getting more abrupt.

And then things fell apart.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be there next monday. And so should the rest of you slackers.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'll try to do better in my part to help keep the flame alive. This semester I can't make it to DL before 7PM on Monday nights, but I still should be able to get a couple hours or so of gaming in.

Unless something unusual is going on, you can also expect me to want to play board games pretty much every Saturday morning/afternoon.

 
At 8:52 AM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

Put me in the same boat.

Sorry, we missed each other, Ben. We'll have to coordinate better next time.

 
At 9:09 AM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Rob said...

I unfortunately had to work until 9pm. I did manage to pop in for 10 minutes, see if Monday night gaming had died for good, and then left.

Weekends, like Friday's, are just difficult for me.

 
At 10:47 AM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Jeff said...

My Monday evenings are nicht sehr gut for gaming while classes are going on.

Looks like I'll be gaming more on Saturday until the end of the semester.

 
At 9:00 PM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Rick N said...

Frank Rich was speaking at Trinity...I couldn't miss it. I plan to be there next Monday.

 
At 9:04 PM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Rick N said...

Since a lot of folks are having trouble making Monday nights, would Tuesdays be better. I know this suggestion has been made before...at the very least we could do it once a month to accomodate Ben, Simon and Jeff.

 
At 9:05 PM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Carlos said...

Brian, your trying to make me feel guilty...like missing church. Well for some of us perhaps this IS church ;) You all know my Monday story, but I am looking forward to the summer and Monday night gaming. In about 20 years I'll retire and should be able to make it out there a little earlier.

 
At 6:51 AM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

I'm taking PE (that's physical education; not professional engineering) classes at SAC four nights a week, and these don't get over until around 6:30 PM. So, the earliest I can get to DL is 7PM on any given night. Other than the late arrival, Monday is still good for me.

I will say that board gaming on my days off on Fridays on Saturdays are much more supported by the (ahem) family activity planning committee...

 
At 2:16 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Simon said...

Psh, you got it easy. I get off class (Survey of Tourism) at 9:45pm on Mondays. It's a three hour class wherein the professor reads us PowerPoints he's made for the Chamber of Commerce.

...I'll trade you. Now. Seriously.

 
At 4:07 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Ben said...

Survey of Tourism? Sounds like an excuse to have margaritas on the River Walk.

I was totally bummed when my Appreciation of Modern Film course was cancelled due to low enrollment. Now I won't get course credit for watching Kurusawa flicks... Oh well, just trying to take advantage of my veteran's benefits.

Next semester I'm considering following an Alexandre Dumas theme, taking both Conversational French and Fencing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home