Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Twilight Struggle Tournament of the Geeks, Round 2

Last night Round One of the first ever SABG Twilight Struggle Tournament of the Geeks drew to a close with a victory for the good old USA. Premier Rob fought me tooth and nail through the conclusion of the late war where I finally captured a win for the US. I must give Rob high praise for his outstanding play during the match.

Despite just being introduced to the game for the first time, Comrade Rob had me fighting to survive through much of the game. In particular, Rob's effective implementation of his strategy of dominating Central America and Asia provided him with significant victory points throughout the game.

On one turn in the game, I dodged defeat by the narrowest of margins. Both the Korean War and the Arab/Israeli War cards reared their heads within a round of each other as the Commie legions massed for an all out assault. Chairman Rob annihilated my brave peacekeeping force in South Korea, placing I think 7 Red influence there during his victory celebration. Luckily, I had lots of friends to support me in the Middle East, and Israel managed to survive the determined Arab onslaught. Later, only through having timely luck of drawing the Europe and South America scoring cards at just the right time was I able to capitalize on my plans and turn the tide of battle.

Round Two kicks off immediately with Twilight Struggle veterans Michael and myself slugging it out in the top bracket and Dennis taking on challenger Rob in the consolation round. So, grab your gas mask, head for the air raid shelter, and get ready for some more nail-biting Cold War brinkmanship!

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, May 24, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Good report. It's funny...I was winning when I didn't know what I was doing, but once I got the hang of things, I started to lose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home