Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Good Old Fashioned Butt Kicking, Middle Earth-Style

Jon administered said butt-kicking upon Dark Lord Ben this afternoon. It was the Dark Lord's first ever play of the game, so he was a little shaky on the strategy department. The critical mistake was made by only allocating a single Hunt die mid-game, then also not rolling any Eyes. The sneaky hobbits used this opportunity to sprint practically half-way to Mordor with Ben rolling terribly low single-die Hunt rolls. Just as I was firmly grinding Minas Tirith beneath my mailed boot and turning upon practically undefended Rohan, I heard the tell-tale kerplunk as the One Ring was chucked into the Crack of Doom

I have to say... I am so silly for letting this wonderful game sit unplayed for a year on my shelf. It's so much fun! I absolutely can't wait to play again.

6 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

What are you guys doing to get all these free people's victories lately?! I found it near impossible for them to win the times I've played, having participating on both sides of the One Ring...

 
At 9:55 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

I had a good time Ben, and I love this game so I will be up for it anytime.

 
At 11:42 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

It is a great game. Brian has beat me the two times that I've played, but it is still great.

 
At 8:21 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Ted said...

I've been hearing so many good things about this game, but I haven't gotten in any play time on it yet.

I hear it can be a 3 player game. Maybe that's a good way to get started? Unfortunately, the next few weeks look pretty busy for me.

 
At 5:59 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

You know, from what I've read, it doesn't really work with more than 2. Players don't tend to agree with what they should be doing, lots of arguing, some down time, etc etc.

Would be willing to try it sometime though.

 
At 7:32 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

After you get the basic mechanics down, the game itself really isn't too much more complicated from a rules standpoint than Axis and Allies. Certainly the strategic options are hugely diverse, but moving your armies around and having combat are almost the same.

The key addition that makes the game so interesting is the Fellowship and the Hunt. The decision of how many armies, dice, Nazgul, etc. you devote to chasing the Fellowship is a wonderfully painful process. I expect I'll be carrying this game under my arm to each gaming session in the future for quite a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home