Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Promoting Board Gaming... the Hard Way!

So there I was in the St. Louis airport last week with about three hours to kill before my return flight home to San Antonio. Having had a long day, I decided to chill out and listen to a board gaming pod cast on my iPod. For some reason, I happened to pick my least favorite show (that will remain nameless, but which has in the past taken a shot at one of our group members). The episode I chose was a particularly monotone and boring one and soon I found myself nodding off and setting my iPod back in my carry-on bag.

When I woke up maybe a half hour later, my carry-on bag was unzipped and my iPod was gone! Argh! A thief somewhere now has my board game podcast-loaded iPod! Perhaps he or she will listen to it, reform their ways, and take up a career in the board gaming industry. Yes, I'm going to extreme lengths to promote the hobby.

Oh, well. Live and learn. So, now I'm auctioning off all my Heroscape stuff in order to get a new and better iPod. Darn you, boring podcast-that-will-remain-nameless!

11 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, March 08, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

I noticed you were selling all your Heroscape stuff on Ebay a while back (Jon found it).

Man, that really sucks about your iPod and I'm sorry for your loss. -But hey, at least this time around you can get a Zen Nomad instead of that evil Apple contraption!

So this unnamed podcast...I bet it took a shot at Brian. Am I right, am I right? What do I win?

 
At 10:06 PM, March 08, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I have to say, the new video zen nomad looks very VERY nice. What better way to watch Desperate House.... I mean, Boardgaming with Scott.

 
At 1:11 AM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

Board Games to Go made a crack at Patrick for wearing a Jester's costume one episode. Maybe that is the one he is talking about.

 
At 10:58 AM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

boooo. thieving is only cool in boardgames.

 
At 11:33 AM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Darn...I figured Brian was the most visable of all of us but I guess a shiny jester suit can top that.

 
At 12:11 PM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I've actually heard Brian referred to by name on the podcast, but they seemed to hold him in high regard. Yep, it was the one that didn't like the costumes.

I need something light I can take jogging with me for long distances, so right now I'm probably going to get the iPod Nano. I can't see packing a 40 GB hard drive on my arm for 10 miles...

On the good news side I just picked up the set of Duel of Ages games, which should replace the gaping hole left by Heroscape in my collection. Duel of Ages is a lot more wargamey (i.e., counters instead of painted miniatures; opportunity fire rules, etc.), but the time traveling combat theme seems very well done. Ghengis Khan with a flamethrower riding a Harley vs. Davey Crockett wielding a plasma rifle and having a sabretooth tiger sidekick... Rock on!

 
At 3:55 PM, March 09, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

...there's a zen mini too...

 
At 9:51 AM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

*gasp*

Apple evil?!? I'll hear no such thing!

 
At 5:14 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Patrick said...

I wouldn't say Apple is evil. Just worthless.

 
At 8:03 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

I'm an ipod bitch. Only ipod.... I'm PC all the way otherwise.

 
At 9:22 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I really like Apple, particularly the iPod. If it wasn't for the ton of cool PC games and other software I have, I'd be picking up one of the new Intel Macs. Hmmm... I don't remember these electrodes sticking out of the back of my head. I wonder how those got there....?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home