Sunday, March 12, 2006

Building the Dice Tower

Howdy, all! I'm about to go off on another business trip (this time with my belongings carefully secured), but I wanted to post an organizational message regarding building dice towers on St Patrick's Day, 17 Mar 2006.

Rob, Michael, Jon, and I have tentatively discussed getting together on this day to build dice towers. I plan on using the plans located here. I transcribed these plans into MS Visio and have made a few design tweaks to them. I then cut out cardboard templates of the key pieces, which should speed up measuring and cutting. I'm not 100% happy I have the design I want, but I'm happy enough to make a good solid beta version.

Anyone who is interested in joining in on the fun is welcome. Just pick up enough wood for your tower, which will cost you about $15. I you want to insulate the ramps and base, which I'd recommend, you'll need a little foam board and felt as well. You'll also need to get whatever stain or paint you want to use on your tower. I have enough dark walnut for a few towers if you want to use of mine.

Since there's going to be at least four of us, I figure we should use the full-size wood shop at Lackland AFB, which costs $2/hour. All the saws, drills, sanders, etc. we'll need are there. I figure it will take around three hours at the most.

Here's what I'll bring:
  • Brad nail gun and brads
  • Dark walnut stain and brush
  • Wood glue and wood putty
  • Dremel tool and Dremel router with bits for cutting ramp slots
You'll need to bring:
  • Materials (Wood, felt, foam board)
  • Creative ideas (or better yet, plans) for the design you want to make
I have to take care of a few things that morning, but how does meeting at 1PM at Dragon's Lair sound? We can go from there.

7 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Ben said...

I forgot to mention, please plan on waiting to have your St Patty's Day Guinness until AFTER the woodworking is done! It would be hard to play Pitchcar without fingers...

 
At 9:32 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Man...should I feel inferior with my foam dice tower now?

Good luck gentlemen.

 
At 9:57 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Jonathan W. said...

1pm sounds good to me, I will see you there.

 
At 11:42 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

1pm sounds great.... maybe we can have a guiness to celebrate our dice towers after we are done.

 
At 11:42 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

BTW, I had the wood working merit badge.

 
At 6:03 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

So what if I go to DL with some block gaming goodness, would anyone come by as we wait for Ben to arrive? Can you say Wing Stop for lunch?

Jon, I we've been trying to arrange for some block gaming... What if we play that morning at DL? Your pick the game.

Sorry Simon... but I'm on a mission to spread the block wargaming addiction one player at a time. You and I can do Rommel tomorrow Tuesday.

 
At 9:34 PM, March 16, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Beware people, it's an expensive and addictive habit...

I can game before you guys go off on your merry woodworking ways. I'm sort of partial to my shoddy, homebrewed tower so I don't think I'll follow you on after that. Have fun though.

Four player Wizard Kings?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home