Tuesday, February 07, 2006

RA power!


Another awesome night of gaming. It was a pleasure (and a blast) to play with Dennis and Michael....the latest additions to the group. Hope you are here for the long run.

Attendance: Dennis, Michael, Me, Brian, Ben, Jon, Jeff.

I got to play Ra tonight for the first time. It's a really good game. I enjoyed very much the quasi-auction (I agree Patrick) system. Eventhough you know what others can bid with, this didn't make the nail-biting desicions any easier. I also liked that you are bidding not only on tiles you need/want but also on a stronger "bidding" chip. It just adds another layer of strategy to the game.

Next up was Power Grid (as shown above). We played the France map. I had played twice last year, and unfortunately couldn't remember what strategy worked that time. Tonight I ended last and I was only 2 points away from the winner! In other words, the game was SUPER tight. I had never had such an aggressive game. I tried being very aggressive building on EVERY single round. This of course kept me ahead for a good 80% of the game....but of course, that meant that I wasted all my money for that portion of the game on expensive resources, AND I had to build on whatever spots where left (which of course would usually be more expensive than what I would have gotten had I built first). Eventually I dragged behind. Nothing like cheap clean energy from a windmill.

All in all, another great game night for the records.

7 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Michael said...

I had a great time meeting and playing with all of you. I'm planning on being around often. I have a cousin here in San Antonio, but other than that we know nobody here so it was great to meet you guys.

I enjoyed Ra. The first epoch I think I made some huge blunders that set me way back. I tried to set up for a big third epoch during the second by acquiring the big suns, but the net result was that by the third epoch I had accumulated no points above the initial 10 and even a large and lucky final epoch did not allow me to make up enough ground.

Power Grid was interesting, but I was a little disappointed that it didn't seem that the map came into play as much as I thought it would. The different stages came around quickly enough where it never seemed anyone was boxed in and denied the ability to expand. So it seemed that the power plants and resources were the more important detail of the game. I also didn't feel like I had an intuitive feel for the value of things and never really felt like I knew who was in a position to win. I definitely enjoyed the game, just not on the scale of Puerto Rico.

The game we played after you left ended very quickly and I don't think I got a good feel for the strategy or gameplay. The name slipped my mind as well (my memory is not the best).

All in all a great night of gaming and looking forward to many more.

 
At 12:29 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Simon said...

Man, it hurts missing out on gaming sessions, especially when there are new people!

Ugh!

Although I guess learning about lyptokautic distributions was just as fun...

*rolls eyes*

 
At 6:58 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

btw, I took that pic with my cell phone. Hehe. That's Brian on the left, Jeff in the middle, and Dennis towards the right. I'm holding the crappy 22 power plant (well, to do it some justice, it did save me some money).

I think that the biggest difference between US and France maps are the distribution of cities (in the US maps you can CLEARLY see that east coast cities are cheaper than western cities), and the Paris 3-city-bunch which I think was cool but in no way guarantees a victory (I personally took advantage of Paris WAY too late in the game). Anything else that could be pointed out Brian?

 
At 2:57 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Jeff said...

Sweet picture, Rob. You can clearly see that I was performing badly.

 
At 4:49 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

Hey, you can't complain... you swept us in RA with what I thought was bad performance.

I'm placing my order for Uberplay's version NOW.

 
At 7:33 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Brian said...

I can point out that, contrary to what the picture shows, no earthquakes happened at any point during the game. The table remained level. Other than that, nothing much.

 
At 10:30 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Rob said...

LOL. Thanks Brian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home