Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Gate is Closed



I've gone waaaaay back into miniatures. Blame Steve. Lately I've been painting my second DBA army (Ayyubid Egyptians, because King Richard needs his Saladin) and rebasing my Warmaster figs for Hordes of the Things. So for my birthday last weekend, my wife put together a big tub of supplies for Crafting Day, in order to make HOTT-appropriate strongholds and terrain pieces.

Crafting Day has spilled into Crafting Weeks, but the first piece is finally done -- the Dwarf Gate shown here, guarded by two units of Blades. It's 7 inches long (those are 10mm = 6ft figs). The wall and gate are balsa wood, the faces are sculpted from modeling clay, and the rocks are painted plaster over wireframe. It looks darker and more ancient in person.

Anyway, more to come (working on an Undead crypt entrance now), but that gate is crying to be attacked!

6 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, March 29, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to blame Steve for many things.

Wow, that turned out really well. I especially like the rock faces--great texture. And the scale looks great. I enjoy hearing about the painting/modeling that you, Steve, and Ted occasionally update us on. Nice job.

And any wife who not only tolerates but encourages her husband's gaming hobby--thumbs up.

 
At 6:11 PM, March 29, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Wow, that's talent. Nice work.

 
At 8:12 PM, March 29, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Is that shiny metallic paint I see?

The rocks and the gate do look impressive. Very nice job. You have more patience then I.

 
At 9:46 PM, March 29, 2009, Blogger Rob said...

Man, that looks cool.

I'd love to paint my Starcraft figs... but I don't know where to start.

 
At 5:21 PM, April 01, 2009, Blogger Schifani said...

Amazing, it's far better than pirate pancakes.

 
At 10:21 PM, April 04, 2009, Blogger Ted said...

Nice job, Dennis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home