Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Ramblings

Insanity Update

I've now painted almost all the humans in the base game of BattleLore. I have to do the blue cavalry and a few more units of blue infantry. It's been quite a time commitment, but it's been more fun than I would have anticipated. I guess that's part of the point of a hobby, right? I'll try to post some pics sometime.

The setup/tear down is prohibitive for a general game night, but if you're going to do several battles in a row as an evening's activity then it's reasonable. Also, at Steve's suggestion I got a case. By storing everything already in units, the set-up should go much faster.

Whatever it's flaws, BL is a great way to play with little army guys.

Gaming Resolutions

My main gaming resolution is to make a point to learn a few games well. I figure that unplayed games are a poor investment.

A corollary is that I'm trying to minimize the cult of the new and also the flavor of the day.

Don't get me wrong: new games are fun, too, and I certainly like to expand my horizons and see what else the world has to offer. I just want to make sure I'm actually savoring things once in a while.

Games on my target list include but are not limited to: Princes of Florence, El Grande, chess, EastFront, BattleLore, go.

Actually, I've been on this kick for a while now. Hence why I bought and started bringing Princes and El Grande. Also why I decided to renew my chess membership.

Chess

The SA chess club meets weekly on Mulberry at the Lions something or other public rec center. They have several rates tournaments each year, and there's a monthly 1 round per week tournament at the Methodist hospital, too. Pretty good.

I've been getting out some old chess books and reading up. I have a vague hope that I will someday achieve the rank of Expert. That's pretty far off from where I am right now, but it's achievable.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, January 06, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

Ted:

I have to say, now that I have a baby, I sympathize with your less is more sentiments. I'm not saying I'm going to go crazy and change my buying habits or anything, but I see your point of view and appreciate it. Last night I spent some time shuffling expansions into base games, ditching expansion boxes. I almost have a whole new shelf to play with now! Nature abhors a vacuum...

I look forward to seeing your painted BattleLore army. Hopefully we'll see the FFG hero expansion shortly. For me, it may be the last chance for me to get excited about the system. Memoir '44 needs more closet space, and two C&C: Ancients expansions are coming...

El Grande is good stuff. Did Chris ever return the brown cube he stole off you?

One of my short term plans is to containerize and magnify my heroscape figures like Steve does with his stuff. I just need to get motivated to go buy a bunch of containers, washers, and flexible magnet sheets.

CoD5 is almost complete. I'm inside the Reichstag circa 1945 with the Russian Army looking for the entrance to the Fuhrer's Bunker.

Jeff and Amy: We're indebted to you forever for the awesome baby swing!!

/ramble off

 
At 7:40 PM, January 06, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Ben, we're glad the swing made it to a good home! If you really do owe us, we'll just come help you trim down your game collection...

 
At 8:50 PM, January 06, 2009, Blogger Brian said...

I long ago gave up on trying to get good at Chess. I still try at Bridge or Go sometimes. (My chess peaked at about a tournament average quality. I suspect I could have made expert through a joyless few more years).

I've gone through the focus on a few games, but the problem is that at some point, expertise in Chess (etc) means that you have learned a great deal about ... chess.

Personally, My wanting to be good at the classics is more vanity than anything. I take much more pride in being good at a new game, since I didn't follow someone else's path to get there. If that makes sense. That's why I give up the classics every few years.

 
At 9:46 PM, January 06, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

I think I can best show my appreciation for the swing by passing it on when its time to the next SABG members to procreate. Right now, its my precious....

Blast! I've run out of card protectors again!

 
At 10:45 PM, January 06, 2009, Blogger Ben said...

There always seems to be some form of drama going on in the board game industry:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/369815

If nothing else, they did do a nice job with Hannibal, though I'm still waiting for my replacement broken plastic generals.

 
At 3:44 AM, January 07, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

The Orange Box is on sale at Circuit City for $15 this week. So is the Lego Star Wars trilogy although you will probably have a hard time finding it in stock.

 
At 10:50 PM, January 07, 2009, Blogger Ted said...

Hopefully we'll see the FFG hero expansion shortly. For me, it may be the last chance for me to get excited about [BattleLore]

I am looking forward to this. I hope the heroes add new tactical and strategic dimensions.

However, I could never justify owning all the C&C games. IMO, there's not enough differences to own all of them. Pick the historical era of most interest, and leave the rest alone.

For me that would have been WWII, but the scale in M44 is too wacked-out and so CC:E fills that void.

However, the fantasy element in BL is a great addition, IMO.

I suspect I could have made expert through a joyless few more years

I try to live by this rule in my life. If something is drudge and work, then stop.

expertise in Chess (etc) means that you have learned a great deal about ... chess

You can know a little about a lot of things, or you can know a lot about a few things.

Near as I can tell, however, you cannot know a lot about everything.

 
At 6:41 PM, January 08, 2009, Blogger Travis and Katy said...

I just keep the Bobbie Fisher book, the one that tutors through graphic puzzles, in my bathroom. I believe this will one day qualify me for my intelligencia merit-badge.

 
At 8:15 PM, January 09, 2009, Blogger Carlos said...

Did you ever see "Searching for Bobby Fisher"? I really enjoyed this movie.

 
At 11:48 PM, January 09, 2009, Blogger Ted said...

I love Searching for Bobby Fischer.

There's a part at the end where the chess coach says "That was a mistake". The dad has the best line in the movie: "What was a mistake?! Who made the mistake!?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home