Saturday, November 01, 2008

War of the Ring

Hi all, I guess i can say I'm a new member to SABG. I am also a board game lover, my current favorite is War of the Ring. My brother in law and I play about 2-3 times a week. I am always the FP side. Tonight we had probably the best game yet. I was able to pull of an extremely rare military victory. To start the game off I quickly moved the ring a few times which didn't work out to well because he was able to draw a hunt tile every time. And on top of that he was playing cards which also added corruption. Before the 3rd round was over the fellowship was 4 territories away from Rivendell and the corruption was on 8. OUCH! Looked like it was going to be a quick game. So i decided to move it a few more times and declare the Fellowship in Dale to Heal the corruption. I did this for about 7 rounds. While waiting for the ring bearers to heal up, the North nation was able to get to war while sauron conquered Minas Tirith. To protect the ring bearer during healing I mustered a small army in Dale. A nearby Easterling army attempted to overthrow Dale but only got one Successful hit when attacking. I luckily defended with 5 successful dice and left him with 3 measly units. So that ended that attack. Moria then trampled up and through Rivendell, and Umbar conquered Pelegrir leaving the SP with 5 victory points. Having the North Nation at war early ended up being my best move of the night. I mustered a large army in Carrock and quickly conquered Mount Gram and Angmar to claim 3 out of 4 of my victory points. I tried to blits Mordor with my army in Dale but Dol Guldur made quick work of them. I had no way to get my forth Victory point. So what do i do? Start moving the fellowship again on its path to Mordor. The next two rounds consisted of just that, getting it to Mordor was no problem. However he had some nasty cards on the table that made me not want to move it much in Mordor. Suddenly I got bold and built up an army in Dol Amroth with Aragorn and Gandalf the White. I used it to threaten the Easterling army that took over Pelegrir. I attacked and forced the Easterlings to retreat into the Stronghold of Umbar. Low and behold a clear path was opened up for me to march right into Far Harad and claim my last needed Victory Point. Congrats to my opponent though for playing a spectacular game. Unfortunately for him, his action dice weren't rolling the way he needed them to. But hey! you loose some and you win some, and every once and a while you get that sweet victory that makes the goose bumps on your arms stand out. For anyone who hasn't played this game... you need to. Its a blast.

3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, November 01, 2008, Blogger Brian said...

Welcome to the club. We've got a few people who play WotR (and the expansion). I haven't played in a year or two, though...

 
At 6:39 PM, November 01, 2008, Blogger Carlos said...

HI Joe. Hope to meet you soon. I just played WotR with a friend last week. Have you played with any other opponents? There are some people in this group who know the game very well and will give you quite a challenge. I have little doubt that the reverse is true as well.

 
At 2:11 PM, November 02, 2008, Blogger joefling34 said...

Yes, there are 2 people i play with, and both are very skilled as i believe i am as well. I would love a new face to challenge me, i would really like to set up a four player game if anybody is intrested.We can probably make it to DL on Thursday anytime to play 4 players. Let me know if anybody is up for a game. I have a fully painted set that i can bring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home